• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Light bar options? Looking for something specific.

DocWinter

Hey guys,

So I'm looking for a way to mount four seven inch lights on the avalanche above the windshield.

My idea was maybe a literal bar with mounts for lights in between standard light bar mounts. I'm not a fan of a full 50"/52" LED light bar, just not a fan of them but I know the power they give. I did like the look of KC styled round lights but I feel it adds unnecessary height plus that's a pretty standard thing you see on trucks these days.

One option I looked into before is getting a permanently mounted roof rack but, two things, it's permanent and I HEARD it's noisy and your MPG takes a hit. At the current moment it's my daily driver so it IS an issue.

Maybe you guys can squash that idea or maybe encourage me. anyone have any experience with roof racks? Light bars? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

There are many, many threads about various light bars.Not sure what you are trying to accomplish can be done, you want 7 inch lights above the windshield but you don't want added height? You are also concerned with gas mileage on a 6,000 lb. truck that already has the aerodynamics of a brick......
What is the intended use for the lights?
Some older threads talk of trying to use a molded plastic/fiberglass roof mount for a Jeep that is very streamlined but not sure 7inch lights would fit in one of those. That might be the most streamlined and lowest roof mounting setup. I never saw one of them completely installed on an AV though. Others have discussed using the sail panel screws above the third brake light to mount lights but I would imagine it would hard to light up the road with the cab roof in the way and all the light would do is blind oncoming traffic or low flying planes.....  >:D

249089_105374199552986_1400304_n.jpg

Thread here....
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,126255.0.html

Pretty hard to believe that a rack BEHIND the lights could make more noise or cause worse mileage than the lights themselves.     :unsure:

That said, I think they're more about looking cool than functionality. Lots of cool here.

Back