• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Another gearing question

Weezul

I currently have 3.42 gears in my Avalanche. Tires are stock size. I have access to a set of Avy axles with 4.10s from the factory. I tow my Jeep (4,000 lbs) on an 18' trailer (not sure exact weight). Would the 4.10s warrant enough of a difference to swap the axles with 4.10s into my truck?

I tow a 5k lb boat & trailer with my Av that has the 4.10s plus the G10 locker in the rear. So not only does it tow better, but it hooks up better.
Do it.     (y)

PS: that said, your next weakest link is probably the 4L60E. About $2k to bulletproof it.

I've got the rear locker in mine. Not sure about the donor axles. Hopefully it would.

Hmm, I left a response that is no longer here...

If you have a 4x4 truck you have to also change the front gearing too. You didn't mention if your truck is 2wd or 4x4.

If your turning your truck into a towing vehicle and not going to use it for daily driving then changing the gearing may make things go smoother. But you WILL burn more fuel and your top end will not be as high.

I went from 3.02 gearing to 3.73 gearing in my Caprice and while it made that car A LOT quicker it did affect its cruising speed rpm. Instead of ~1500 RPM that car runs ~2300 RPM or so at 65 mph. (Note due to the cam in that vehicle and maybe due to using different manufacturer of rear end components I actually gained 1-2 mpg. You should expect to loose that much normally or more.)

So that is my experience, your "mileage" may vary.

Rodney

Back