• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AC ISSUES....

RIKrotorhead

SM 2004
Its been a few years since I have been on this site. I remember when it was first born.
But I still have my AV and have no plans to get rid of it.
Finally I am having an issue with it...
2003 Z71 1500
Dual electronic climate controls.
AC on driver side works great, but hot air comes out theassenger side.
I know there are two air blend door actuators, one under the dash and the other inside the dash.
Question is, which one needs replacement?
I searched using the search button but couldnt find a clear definitive answer.
The easy one under the dash, driver or passenger side?
Does anyone know of a video to replace the one inside the dash behind the airbag?
I have tools and know how to use them. Point me please.
Also, are they both the same actuator or do they have different part nimbers?
Best/least expensive place to purchase them?
How many beers will it take if I have to do surgery to reach the one inside the dash?
Will I cuss and throw things at the cat in frustration?
Should I have my wife do the install while I take a nap?
Thanks in advance!

There are some youtube vid's on this very subject.

Yeah I watched a couple but they were for silverados and not very explanitory.
I'm gunna just replace them both and get it over with.

There are three actuators, the first is on the drivers side of the transmission hump above the gas pedal. It controls where the air goes,windshield,feet,etc. the second one is on the passenger side of the tranny hump. If you have the center console, it is behind the side panel and is the easiest to get to. This one controls the temperature on the drivers side. The third one controls the temp on the passenger side and requires the dash to be pulled apart. :E: It is almost right above the second actuator and you can just see it if you pull out the glove box and use a good flash light.

This link is on a Silverado but I believe the steps would be the same.
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-driversidepassanger-side-temp-contr/

The best price I found so far is on amazon, Dorman 604-106 Air Door Actuator. This one fits a 2004. You would need to make sure it is the same one for your 2003. Also all three are the same.

How many beers? I would start with an 18 pack of your favorite malt beverage. On the second day switch to something stronger.  Try old fashions  (y)

What's up Rik...Cliff (I CHNGE) and Amy (Mrs I CHNGE)
Long time...especially since the Mega Meets  (y) (y)

We still have our 2004 Z71...running strong...only 2 front hubs since the lift
How's the LA crew doin'?
Up north is completely disbanded...

Handmedown04 said:
There are three actuators, the first is on the drivers side of the transmission hump above the gas pedal. It controls where the air goes,windshield,feet,etc. the second one is on the passenger side of the tranny hump. If you have the center console, it is behind the side panel and is the easiest to get to. This one controls the temperature on the drivers side. The third one controls the temp on the passenger side and requires the dash to be pulled apart. :E: It is almost right above the second actuator and you can just see it if you pull out the glove box and use a good flash light.

This link is on a Silverado but I believe the steps would be the same.
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-driversidepassanger-side-temp-contr/

The best price I found so far is on amazon, Dorman 604-106 Air Door Actuator. This one fits a 2004. You would need to make sure it is the same one for your 2003. Also all three are the same.

How many beers? I would start with an 18 pack of your favorite malt beverage. On the second day switch to something stronger.  Try old fashions  (y)

Thanks for the info and he "encouraging words"? lol
I am going to just replace all three in the same weekend just to eliminate any future headaches.
I will check that part number toward the 03 also, thanks.

Mrs. I CHNGE said:
What's up Rik...Cliff (I CHNGE) and Amy (Mrs I CHNGE)
Long time...especially since the Mega Meets  (y) (y)

We still have our 2004 Z71...running strong...only 2 front hubs since the lift
How's the LA crew doin'?
Up north is completely disbanded...

Hey wassup Cliff....
Yeah I have been busy building my BOV and I'm teaching Kung Fu full time now. Trying to travel when we can. The AV has been holding up really well, 250K on it so far. Great ranch truck.
So no more Norcal AV? Do you hear from Ro at all?

4x4dreamer said:
What is this with folks coming out of the woodwork??  >:D
that could be because our vehicles are getting "old" along with us.

So, I had a similar issue today. My son (the one in my avatar from ten years ago) was driving me in the Avalanche today and we noticed hot air blowing from the center vent.

I switched to the floor vents and got cold air. Same with the defrost vents and two side vents.

Ugh!

I recall in my recently-departed 2000 Jetta that there was a foam shield blocking the engine air from the cold air.  I spent several cold beverages in changing that

Db-w

So, am in in for the same here?

I still havent replaced mine. Too damn busy and it hasnt been hot enough to force the issue yet, but soon it will be so I am going to tackle it this week.

Here is the link with pictures explaining how to get at the top actuator.....
http://sparkys-answers.com/2011/03/2004-chevrolet-silverado-dash-cover.html

From what I can gather from a lot of answers is that all three of the actuators are the same part number.
But when I put the part number on Amazon it says in the "frequently purchased together" tab it shows three different part numbers. I am calling the local stealership in the morning to get a definitive answer.

I am prepared and have psyched myself up for the cut and bruised hands, harsh and vulgar language, dropping and retrieving the screws into a dark abyss, and nice cool air when I finish.

I have a BFH and an angle grinder, pry bars and a torch. That beotch is coming out.

UPDATE:
I called the stealership to confirm part numbers for the actuators.
The parts guy said they are not the same.
he refused to give me part numbers
Thanks.

UPDATE:
I called the stealership to confirm part numbers for the actuators.
The parts guy said they are not the same.
The upper one is $180 and the lower ones are $290 each (approx)
If somebody could confirm this thanks.
Its an '03 1500 without the center console or rear seat air.
They are tons cheaper on ebay and amazon but I need exact part numbers.
They will not give me the part numbers
Thanks.

From what I can gather....
The mode actuator is 604-112
The temp blend door actuator is 604-121
Both are under $60 on ebay and amazon.

Lifted07 said:
Looking at RockAuto, the 604-112 is $43.58 and the 604.121 is $51.80 and it also tells you which RPO codes it works with  as well.

RPO codes?
yeah everyplace is cheaper than the stealership. That's why they limit the info they give out.

RIKrotorhead said:
RPO codes?
yeah everyplace is cheaper than the stealership. That's why they limit the info they give out.

Thanks Imma take a snap shot of the RPO sticker and then log on to Rockauto.

Simple question to all, have you first done the least expensive and least work to check if your system has been recharged before tearing into the A/C?

I purchased parts after reading everything on here and then realized I had not done the first thing.
I finally got around to it. My system is fully functional and operating as desired.
Simply bought a recharge kit form local parts store and two cans of fluid.

Just something that worked for me.

Back