• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New High Desert Option on 2017 Silverado

snomuncher

I was very interested in the new Silverado High Desert option to determine how well it compares to the original Avalanche/EXT in features, function and appearance and found one of the first 2017 models available at a dealer.  This one appears to be so "new" that the window sticker said the vehicle was not yet available for sale- but the dealer had the invoice info.

The High Desert package is a $6995 MSRP option for the $$$ High Country pickups that includes the faux Avalanche sail panels, three-piece hard tonneau that removes and installs just like the AV/EXT, side tool boxes and bed area with interior LEDs and the following other options: Magnetic Ride Control, Retractable Power Steps, All-Terrain tires and an all-weather floor liner.

Obviously there is no midgate on this truck. Instead, think of the whole AV/EXT plastic sail panel/tonneau/tool box assembly as a bedliner that drops into  a short box pickup bed.  I measured the clear opening at the tailgate as approx. 48-1/2" wide and 19" tall.  The tonneau drain system looks almost identical to the original.  The tool boxes run almost the full length of the bed so are larger than those on the AV/EXT.  The liner on the tailgate was very thick- likely to provide a uniform height surface on which to slide objects into the bedliner, which sits higher than the standard ribbed floor of the base pickup.  So the basic concept has returned.  But to me there are a few shortcomings:  In person, the faux sail panels look out-of-place on the High Country, like an aftermarket add-on, because, unlike the original, they do not attach to the cab.  The lack of a midgate obviously limits the capacity to haul long items.  The hard tonneau cover panels each have deep ribbing instead of the grain finish of the original, which will trap snow in colder climates.

If you deduce the cost breakout of the package, mag ride might be $2500, the power steps $1000, the tires and floor liner $400, leaving a rough estimate of approx. $7000-$3900, or $3100 for the bedliner.  I've heard this option informally referred to as "Avalanche Lite" or Avalanche 2.0" and it seems appropriate.

I had one pull up beside me at a stop light yesterday.

At first glance, I didn't realize what I was looking at and thought to myself "How silly is that?

Then it came to me what I was seeing and I thought "How silly is that?"

I like the new model trucks and some of their packages.

This package, I think I will pass on.

Not because it is trying to imitate an Avalanche, but because I don't think it works like they had hoped.

Looks to me like when someone puts a giant flaming firebird hood sticker on a Camaro.

It will fit, but it just doesn't look right.

I would like to see one myself and maybe a test ride. I wonder if the new design bed covers are more water tight than on the AV? Also I wonder if the new plastic will fade as much too?
I bet the magnetic ride control will give the Silverado a more SUV ride but it would be very expensive to replace down the road and owners Female Dog now about replacing the LTZ suspension!
I would also want a Bedslide device in one and I wonder if it could be done with larger side bins and the drop in liner of the High Desert?
Some photos other than the stock Chevy photos would be nice folks........

snomuncher said:
I have a few photos but the file size is too large to post here.

Upload your pics to a free Photobucket account then copy the IMG link of that pic and paste that link into your post.

No size concerns then.

High Desert Silverados are hitting local dealer lots now...

I might have to go and check one out just to compare..

The drains, as well as rails and locks for the panels look identical to the AV...

I remember when I first saw the High Desert Silverado sometime online last year I believe it was. First thing that went through my mind was AVALANCHE. I guess they got rid of the avalanche, but people still wanted it, so they decided to this cross breed High Desert Silverado  :laugh:

Back