• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Trying for figure out noise on driver front, possible hub or just warped rotor

tomboarderns

I have a clicking noise on driver front side.  It is noticeable at speed.  When I jack the truck up I can hear it clicking as I spin the wheel/tire.  I thought for sure it was the cv axle joints, as I have no play at 12 and 6.  I was on a road trip when I noticed the sound, so after driving an hour+ I checked for heat and found that it was not hot. 

Today I pulled the cv axle just to make sure before I ordered a replacement.  I still have the clicking noise without the cv axle in. 

I do have some drag from the brakes, as it seems my rotors are slightly warped.  Not enough to feel it as I stop. 

Would the brakes dragging cause the clicking noise or is it definitely the bearing?  I can also hear the brake dragging noise when I spin the wheel.  This is definitely a click or tap as the wheel rotates.  I feel no grinding or hesitation as I spin the hub otherwise. 

Thanks for any info.  I cant remember if my signature says what Avy I have, but 2004 Avalanche 1500 z71, 86k on it now. 

Since you seem comfortable removing parts to check for the noise, try removing the brake caliper and wiring it out of the way and then spin the tire. If the click is still there, then you know it is the bearing/hub.

Ok, finally had a chance to pull off the brakes last night and listen.  It still has the noise, but I am only getting it with the tire on and spinning fast.  I cant replicated it with just spinning the hub and the hub spins nicely with no grabbing.  The hub has no play, no grinding, and no heat built up after a long drive. 

My question is this really small noise, can it be the hub going or just a minor noise that can be normal and I am being way too particular about my truck.  Should I just change it to be safe.  My tires can be noisy too, so it may have always made this noise. 

Back