• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Strange Sound in Driveline

catron44

Hey Guys,

I've got an 07 AV 3LT with the 5.3L, 4x4. I've got this weird whining sound at 45mph and 70 mph when the engine is around 2k RPM. My mechanic originally thought it was the pinion bearing but that's not it because he did it 2x already (at no charge). I'm going to bring it back in at some point but it doesn't seem to affect the truck. It's just getting to the point where it's annoying. I've had the truck since April of 2010 and 33k miles. It now has about 130k.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to theirs?

Thanks,
Drew

Can you tell if the noise is coming the rear or front.

It sounds like it's coming from the middle. Almost as if it's coming from the back of the transfer case.

Any signs of the transfer case leaking.  Check the fluid level quickly next would be the ujoint

Thanks, I'll start there. I've been waiting for it to get warmer out up here since I don't have a heated space to work on it and it's not my daily driver. I'll check back in when I get to that.

At least look under it, look at the bottom of the body for streaks of oil behind the transfer case for now

I took a look under the truck, no signs of leaking oil from anywhere. I guess I'll start with the u-joints. Any chance you know if the same u-joint is used at the rear of the transfer case and the driveshaft to rear end?

Check over at www.rockauto.com

My drive line clunks at very slow speed mostly when slowing down at stop sign or idling forward in bumper to bumper traffic. No leaks anywhere. I have a 2011 with 36 k miles. I just put up with it since it's been ongoing for a year now.

Back