• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Ohio summer GTG, July 22 2017

GoldBowTie

Regional Coord.
Charter Member
SM 2003
Since it looks like we will not be having a National Meet this summer, it was suggested to me to plan a "Wild n Wonderful" Ohio weekend GTG this summer.

I'm guessing July or August would be the timeframe. - Decided on July 22.

Schedule:  all of these times are flexible
  • Summit Racing opens at 9 am.  I76, exit 29.
    They are having a scratch and dent sale on July 22.
    Arrive at Summit when you like, we will be leaving Summit at 11:00 am.
  • 11:30-3:00 Hartville Marketplace Hartville Flea Market, Hartville Hardware, and if you want - get lunch at Hartville Kitchen.
  • 3:30-5:00 I76 Antique Mall I76 eastbound exit 38b

• 5:30 Dinner?  

Attendees:
GoldBowTie and Toots
Tpicks55 and Teach8
OldVMer and Mrs
RCHeliguy and Sanofhee

Saving this reply for future updates, planning.

Ideas:

Wright Patterson Air Force Museum.  Can then have a picnic at John Bryant State Park
Something at Mid-Ohio Racetrack
Camping at Hocking Hills
Loveland Castle tour and canoeing/kayaking on the Little Miami
John Glenn Museum
Summit Racing as a stop during a weekend GTG - Jul 22, Aug 5, Aug 26
Tallmadge Circle Festival - Tallmadge OH August 19
Stan Hywet
Car Show June 24
Hartville Marketplace
MAPS Air Museum
I76 Antique Mall
Castle Noel
Akron Zoo
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad
Pro Football Hall of Fame

4x4dreamer said:
Jim and I were talking about doing something this summer to supplement the time between now and Avy Pizza, but we never really threw out any concrete ideas! 

That is a GREAT idea!!!  (y)

I am on break from July 22nd-the first week of August.

That last weekend in July I am busy and we are planning a trip (hopefully to FL) sometime while I am off as well!

But we are in for sure! So long as we are not out of town  :D

GoldBowTie said:
Since it looks like we will not be having a National Meet this summer, it was suggested to me to plan a "Wild n Wonderful" Ohio weekend GTG this summer.

Toots and Teach8 have some ideas.

I guessing July or August would be the timeframe.

Please post ideas and preferred weekend.

I'm in.
I have been bouncing some ideas around and trying to put something together in/around Pittsburgh, w/ Kennywood/Sandcastle, the Children's museum, possible stadium (s) tours etc., but it's proving to be a lot more challenging than I expected, especially since I'm not there full time anymore and have been getting my butt kicked at work. Since hotel rooms (Pittsburgh has a shortage) and specifically parking space is such a hot commodity. Finding a hotel that's in a somewhat convenient location that can accommodate us at a reasonable price and provide a semi-dedicated parking area is proving to be very challenging.
I think that if you guys have some decent ideas and can find a hotel or other accommodations, go for it. All of us will attend.
I'm sure someone can make up a design and get shirts ordered and we'll call it Nationals 2017. After all, "wild n wonderful" is kind-of a WV thing.

No no no no no, this is not a Nationals.
I am not planning a Nationals with t-shirts and charity and raffle and so on.

I was simply asked to do a "wild n wonderful" type GTG this summer in Ohio.

Few ideas...
Weight Patterson Air Force Museum.  Can then have a picnic at John Bryant State Park
Something at Mid-Ohio Racetrack
Camping at Hocking Hills
Loveland Castle tour and canoeing/kayaking on the Little Miami

Calicak89 said:
I'm in.
I have been bouncing some ideas around and trying to put something together in/around Pittsburgh, w/ Kennywood/Sandcastle, the Children's museum, possible stadium (s) tours etc., but it's proving to be a lot more challenging than I expected, especially since I'm not there full time anymore and have been getting my butt kicked at work. Since hotel rooms (Pittsburgh has a shortage) and specifically parking space is such a hot commodity. Finding a hotel that's in a somewhat convenient location that can accommodate us at a reasonable price and provide a semi-dedicated parking area is proving to be very challenging.
I think that if you guys have some decent ideas and can find a hotel or other accommodations, go for it. All of us will attend.
I'm sure someone can make up a design and get shirts ordered and we'll call it Nationals 2017. After all, "wild n wonderful" is kind-of a WV thing.

GoldBowTie said:
No no no no no, this is not a Nationals.
I am not planning a Nationals with t-shirts and charity and raffle and so on.

I was simply asked to do a "wild n wonderful" type GTG this summer in Ohio.

Easy, don't give GBT a heart attack  :laugh:

The idea for the Summer GTG was a "filler" between now and when things get started back up in the fall, since Nationals isn't going to happen in July this year.

I've been to Patterson Air Force Museum I know everyone would enjoy it.

4x4dreamer said:
Easy, don't give GBT a heart attack  :laugh:

Not the intent.
I think this might be part of the reason that more people don't want to put forth the effort to try to host. The bar has been set pretty high in some past years, but some of the lower key ones were a great time too, like the southern Indiana one in 2015 (I think) Nationals doesn't need to be some giant production.
Is it great when it is? Yes.
Is helping a local charity an awesome thing to do? Yes.
Is having a charity auction/raffle fun and a good cause? Yes.
Is it nice to have a shirt to commemorate the GTG? Sure.

But these are not the reason(s) that we attend, at least me. It's about getting together with a bunch of guys/ladies that share the same enthusiasm for the Av that I have, those other things are just a bonus.

Calicak89 said:
Not the intent.
I think this might be part of the reason that more people don't want to put forth the effort to try to host. The bar has been set pretty high in some past years, but some of the lower key ones were a great time too, like the southern Indiana one in 2015 (I think) Nationals doesn't need to be some giant production.

But these are not the reason(s) that we attend, at least me. It's about getting together with a bunch of guys/ladies that share the same enthusiasm for the Av that I have, those other things are just a bonus.

Well Said (y)

Calicak89 said:
Not the intent.

Yessir!

I like seeing everyone! Splitting a side or two from laughing so much, and having stories to tell in the future.  :laugh:

Indiana in 2014 was my first Nationals! It was awesome. I had a fantastic time which is what made me want to host my own.

I enjoy any GTG no matter how big/small or how intricate/lax.  (y)

I like the idea of a Summer Ohio GTG to see everyone that we may not otherwise get to see depeneding on when/where nationals ends up being!

MS03 2500 said:
I've been to Patterson Air Force Museum I know everyone would enjoy it.
Could actually do Wright Pat and then head up the road an hour or so to the John Glenn museum.

I have added several ideas to post 2.
Check them out and also suggest which dates work for you.
Do we want a single day GTG? or a weekend GTG?

GoldBowTie said:
I have added several ideas to post 2.
Check them out and also suggest which dates work for you.
Do we want a single day GTG? or a weekend GTG?

More than likely, even if it is just a Saturday GTG, Ashley and I will stay Friday-Sunday wherever we are. Pending whether or not we can make it of course.

I am on rotation through 7/21 and then I am off until 8/25. Out of that window, we are out for the weekend of the 5th for sure. The rest are still up in the air as of now.

Just tossing my dates around, we will definitely attend so long as we are able  (y)

Sounds like fun.  Being just a state over and having lived my formative years in the Buckeye state I'm interested.  Here's my thoughts on the things you just listed Jim:

+ Wright Patterson Air Force Museum.  Can then have a picnic at John Bryant State Park
+ Something at Mid-Ohio Racetrack
+ Camping at Hocking Hills
++ Loveland Castle tour and canoeing/kayaking on the Little Miami
+ John Glenn Museum
- (Getting rather far for us) Summit Racing as a stop during a weekend GTG - Jul 22, Aug 5, Aug 26
- (Also rather far) Tallmadge Circle Festival - Tallmadge OH August 19
+/- Stan Hywet
? (where) Car Show June 24
- (another good haul) Hartville Marketplace
? (don't know where this is) MAPS Air Museum
- I76 Antique Mall
+ (also rather far but Amber's Maiden Name is Noel) Castle Noel
- Akron Zoo
+ (always like scenic railroads) Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad
- Pro Football Hall of Fame

Pending on when things hit I maybe able to tie a stop over on my journies to WNY.

In terms of a one day event or weekend long one, I'd be staying the whole weekend, regardless. Because its still too long of a drive for just one day.

All the places listed sound great, the Air base museum sounds cool.

enoniam, the ideas that are far for you are the ones local to me. :)

Summit Racing could be a stop on any weekend, the dates listed are ones that have something extra happening.

The June 24 car show is at the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum in Cleveland.  I have not been there before so I have no opinion of the place.  I have been to a car show many years ago at their overflow warehouse in Macedonia OH.  That was a good time.

The MAPS Air Museum is at the Akron-Canton Airport.
This is one I have been wanting to check out, but have not been there yet.

Castle Noel is one Toots suggested and one I would like to save for a Christmas time GTG.

The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad is local to me and another I have not yet been to.

For those of you making it an overnight stay, I would try to offer several options for things to see/do to make it worth the trip.

Find free stuff (or discounted) for us retired folks, lol

Didit

frito said:
And those of us putting kids through school.    :cautious:

Thats what scholarships are for, there are no scholarships in retirement!  hehehe

Didit

Should link this to the "upcoming Ohio GTG thread". This thread is a couple weeks old and this is the first I've seen it. We're out of state the last full week of July but will be back somewhat local anytime from the 27th to the 29th. Debi has a few vacation days available for just about anytime. I have a couple weeks left to schedule so as long as there's advance notice, it shouldn't be a problem for us to make an appearance.

Back