• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Power Stop brakes (rear) for 2003 Z66 with the G80 locking rear

ki-speed

I sent the below email to "Power Stop" to try and get an answer regarding the difference between the two rear brakes selections the show on their website.  I have not heard back yet.

I'm looking to replace rotors, calipers and pads.

Wondered if anyone has been down this road.  Comments?

I?m looking at ordering new brakes for my 2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66 2WD.

I?m trying to clarify what rear brakes I need to go with.

I want the truck extreme tow series.

Mine is 2WD but based on some questions that came up on the ?Avalanche website forums?  I?m trying to clarify what rear brakes I need to go with.

I noticed that on your website the 2WD has the following parts for rear brakes (rotors are the same for both 2WD and 4WD):

Calipers:  S4940
Pads:  Z36-974A

The 4WD has the following parts for rear brakes:

Calipers S4764
Pads:  Z36-834

What are the differences in caliper and pads caused by?  Number of pistons, etc.?

There has been discussion that if you have a locking rear differential you need different size rotors but your rotors are the same size.  I?m not aware of what would cause the requirement of different caliper and pads.

Appreciate your help.

I can give you some details about the 2wd AVs

The z66 do indeed have a dual piston caliper with the G80 locker. Some normal 2wd AV came with a single piston caliper.

Now if you are not the original owner, look at the glove box sticker for the option z66 and G80 to make sure no one just added the z66 decal on it.

PowerStop called me to discuss (that's impressive).  After discussing for awhile he wasn't sure what the true difference was but based on the diagrams he was looking at he thought it was a difference in the size of the pistons.  He suggested I remove my wheels so I could get some photo's of my current setup and send to them.  I said I would.

Then shortly there after I received this email from him:

Thank you for your interest In Power stop Brakes. According to the information you provided over the phone for your vehicle. You need kit # KC2047-36 this fits your 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 On the Road model 2WD. The brake pads itself are different on a 2WD then a 4WD.

The above may be true but I'm still puzzled as to why.

May be I'll order both (different set's) of rears and send the one back I don't need.

Difference is size of the rotors and the pads.

many threads on this going way back to 2002 as that i when we all figured out they had 2 different rear brake setups.

What's weird is on their website the selection for this same vehicle, the rotors are the same for both selections of rear setups.

I thought they would be different but they are not.

It does not add up to me.

Thank to both you guys for your input.

Mark

Thanks for posting that Aerohokie, that is the thread I remember.

ki-speed said:
Thank you for your interest In Power stop Brakes. According to the information you provided over the phone for your vehicle. You need kit # KC2047-36 this fits your 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 On the Road model 2WD. The brake pads itself are different on a 2WD then a 4WD.

The above may be true but I'm still puzzled as to why.

I'm the original owner of my 2003 Z66 and have never needed to know why, not sure why you think you do.

Getting the wrong ones from O'reilly way back when and realizing they weren't going to fit was all I needed to know.

enoniam said:
I'm the original owner of my 2003 Z66 and have never needed to know why, not sure why you think you do.

Getting the wrong ones from O'reilly way back when and realizing they weren't going to fit was all I needed to know.

Since I would be ordering the PowerStop, if they come in and are the wrong ones it would be a PITA because I couldn't complete the project in that same day and possible down time until I ship the wrong ones back, then waiting on the correct set.

ki-speed said:
Since I would be ordering the PowerStop, if they come in and are the wrong ones it would be a PITA because I couldn't complete the project in that same day and possible down time until I ship the wrong ones back, then waiting on the correct set.

I would say you should be ok simply due to the fact that they know your truck needs a different part.  It's when they don't know that's the problem.  And the people you are likely dealing with have no idea why your parts would be different from another same year GM truck, let alone a Buick or even a Ferrari.  They just know a different part number is called for.

You can always measure your rotors and have them confirm dimensions if you want to be sure. After reading the thread and sub threads in my previous post, I was able to order the right set.

Back