• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Flywheel Covers, Where did it go?

TuffysTruck

I was working on the 05-Z71 Av and noticed that I can see the flywheel and starter gear from under the engine... Isn't there supposed to be a flywheel cover on the passenger side. There is one on the driver side. I drive off road all the time, through mud and brush. I'm guessing the daft mechanic that the dealer had replace the torque converter, back when I bought it, forgot to put it back... Do I need to put a cover on it ASAP, yell at the mechanic, or just drink a cold one... Thoughts?

I would definately get it replaced, you certainly don't want a piece of brush or flip a rock up in there, I would go back to the dealer that did the work, and say uh excuse me, when i brought this AV it had a cover on it, now it don't, any ideas, would you have forgot to put it back on?  See what they have to say.

Didit

TuffysTruck said:
I was working on the 05-Z71 Av and noticed that I can see the flywheel and starter gear from under the engine... Isn't there supposed to be a flywheel cover on the passenger side. There is one on the driver side. I drive off road all the time, through mud and brush. I'm guessing the daft mechanic that the dealer had replace the torque converter, back when I bought it, forgot to put it back... Do I need to put a cover on it ASAP, yell at the mechanic, or just drink a cold one... Thoughts?

All of the above, in that order!

Thanks!

I called the dealer and they are working to get me one. Before they put it on is there any sort of flush and lube I should do to void the bell housing of any debris that may have collected over the past 15k miles?

You might just ask them to do a visual inspection and maybe blow it out with air, btw if i'm not mistaken the cover is just a plastic piece on these.

Didit

Back