• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking at Visor Hoods..... Any thoughts?

elmucki

I have been looking at some visor hoods like the ones here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Cab-Visor-Sportvisor-Lighted-Fiberglass-White-Gelcoat-Chevy-Silverado-EA-/331496453311?hash=item4d2eba74bf:g:FY4AAOSwHnFVzEaa&vxp=mtr.

If that link doesnt work, here is another picture: https://gyazo.com/b0bdb0cc3d3e6a8c3be87fb9cb819fcb

Now, i know these are not made for the Avy, but i saw one that had one on it and it looked badass and i now want one :( Does anyone here have one and if so, what and how????

Thanks!

Mike

Wow that sure brings back memories!

I installed one on a Suburban I had in the 1980's. You have to be careful to seal the screw holes to avoid water leaks in the roof. I also didn't have to worry about sun roof or electrical wiring in roof for radio, XM or Onstar issues.
Depending on your height it may affect your ability to see traffic lights at certain distances. (Thought about getting one of those old time dash mounted traffic light mirrors so I could see when lights changed.) Not sure if visor would interfere with modern EZ-Pass units now. Roof lights did look nice at night but could have used roof marker lights instead I guess?
I wasn't into gas mileage so not sure if visor caused mileage to go down or not. Seems like tinted strip on windshield would give sun blocking with no affect to gas mileage.
You also have to add in the cost of getting visor painted to match your AV.

the one they had looked like it fit on there without issues and used holes already there. Are there any from different models/years that could fit?

elmucki said:
the one they had looked like it fit on there without issues and used holes already there. Are there any from different models/years that could fit?
Look for ones that state they fit a 03-06 Silverado.  The first Gen Avys have the same cab

I love the visor on my favorite 02. It's a smooth version of the one you're looking at. I installed 5 mm leds in it. The trucks gona die with it on. It added some noise and fuel burning.... 

The one on the wife's 02 is an invisible mount type. With stock lighting in it. It looks bad ass but shakes to much for me..  truck will also die with it on.....

I installed one like this on another Avalanche. Woodies, looks freaking awesome with lights and his custom hood. He said he has some noise but not to bad

you have an 02? mind sharing the part number or where you purchased it? I would love to use factory holes and not drill any more than i have to.

None use factory holes
Some mount in the jam. Some do the jam mount and 2 smaller bolts to the roof. Some just mount to the roof.

I prefer the total roof mount. 2 too 1.  Less vibration and noise. Been over ten years and I got used stuff. So I suck at parts #

Back