• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Weight distributing hitches

RCBearings

Hi all!  I am buying a 26ft travel trailer and have been researching hitches.  The dealer recommended the Equal=I-zer.  Those things run in excess of $500!  The same company makes the Fastway E2 which most places around here are selling for around $300.  They appear to be the Equalizer without the trunnion pivots.  Has anyone used one of these?  Dis a search for Fastways and no results.

I use an Equal-i-zer on my 29' trailer.  Used a Reese on a 26' coachman - weight distribution chain bars and separate sway bar.  The Fastway E2 is similar in concept to the Equal-i-zer, the weight distributing and sway bars mount differently to the hitch head compared to the Equal-i-zer.  My decision to go with the Equal-i-zer was based on conversations I had with users at the dealer I purchased my trailer from, on line reviews, made in the USA, and my experience with the Reese.  No regrets or buyers remorse with the Equal-i-zer.  A couple of hundred bucks should not be the determining factor on your hitch purchase.  The Fastway hitch may be every bit comparable to the Equal-izer, or not, but if I had to buy another hitch, having used the Equal-zer, I would buy another one without a second thought.

Equalizer seems to be popular and a higher-end model with anti-sway features compared to others. I bought the Blue Ox with similar feature and so far a good experience, but Equalizer was my back up choice. A WDH is critical for the bigger trailers, don't go on price alone. Hauling 5,000 to 8,000lbs is serious business and it's your life your protecting.

What BassmanZ71 said, towing a trailer over 20-22 foot is no joke. Towing a longer 30 footer requires you to mod the truck also.

PS never let the tail wag the dog.

My camper is 8500 lbs dry and 36 ft which means I am close or over 10K loaded. I have a basic WDH hitch with a single friction anti sway and have zero sway. Pulled in from NY to FL last year with no issues  :D

I tow a 26' Kodiak travel trailer and use the Blue Ox system.  I had very windy conditions in Florida today coming back from a weekend trip and the Blue Ox kept the trailer straight.  I was skeptical about the chain set up, but it works great.  The equalizer is a good system too, I just remember reading they can be noisy.  Just make sure you have a transmission cooler on your Avalanche.  I just put a $50 Hayden cooler in mine and wish I had done it much sooner.  30 degrees lower temperature towing and daily driving.

[shadow=red,left]  Thought I would put this here. Cursing You tube.

Nice Truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDhAYw943U

It's a bit overkill for a z71 no way should try towing 10,000 pounds with a 1500.

I was expecting a 2500. Nice yard mule tho.

RCBearings said:
Hi all!  I am buying a 26ft travel trailer and have been researching hitches.  The dealer recommended the Equal=I-zer.  Those things run in excess of $500!  The same company makes the Fastway E2 which most places around here are selling for around $300.  They appear to be the Equalizer without the trunnion pivots.  Has anyone used one of these?  Dis a search for Fastways and no results.
I have a Fastway E2 for my car trailer.  600# tongue weight hitch.  Tows strait and true with no sway.  Works fine for me.  Need to put grease under trunions where they rub.  Have hitch welded after adjustment for your application.  Is offshore manufactured but seems OK to me.

Back