• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I need some advice on a wheel and tire upgrade specs (I lnow nothing about it)

Daffypuck

Engines I know, tires and specifically wheels, I do not. I have an 11' and want exactly what is in this pic of another poster here on the forum. Ive tried asking in that thread with no luck. Its an older thread and probably not looked at any longer. I have a few questions:
1: Are the wheel wells and suspension similar enough on an 03" and 11' that I can expect to fit the same thing thats in the pic? 285/70-16
2: What specs, other than the rim size (17"x8") do I need to know when ordering the rims? I know more custom alloys you can get different offsets
   and whatnot, but these Pro Comp Black wheels are nothing special, so do I need to worry about that?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The main problem you may have is the tire size (285/70-16) you are looking at would take a 16" rim and that size is too small for second generation brakes. You will need a 17" or larger rim to clear the brakes on any 2007-2013 AV.
I believe that the wheel well dimensions are pretty much the same on first generation and second generation AVs but I have never measured them. If you go too much wider then stock you may have rubbing issues in front when turning especially when backing up. Then you need to be concerned with overall tire diameter, if you go much larger or smaller you throw off the odometer and possibly affect the ABS system. It can be re-calibrated by a tuner though to correct for different overall diameter.
You could consider getting your stock rims powder-coated if all you really want is black rims.
I think you could check a site like www.tirerack.com to find the rims and tires to fit your AV.

Good luck with your search.

The wheels I want are 17" rims. The OP that posted that image said he ha no issues with rubbing and only had to trim a small amount of plastic.

Back