• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front jounce bumpers "bump stops"

malbrecht1

SM 2017
I planned to replace these on my Av because the ride seems a little harsh and I just put in new shocks and saw these were not in the best condition.
bump_stops.jpg

However, where are these located on my truck?
jounce_bumpers.jpg

I looked everywhere on the front end and cant seem to find them. Maybe they are missing and that is why it's riding rough?

Here is the link to Rockauto
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7311528&cc=1411894&jsn=501

I have a 2003 z71. Any help would be appreciated!

The cone type are what the Avalanches have, since they have torsion bars. The ones in the lower picture are for trucks that have coil springs instead of torsion bars.

Thanks, chevymike! I appreciate the quick reply. I will order the cone type ones and see if it improves the ride quality. It seems like I can feel every bump in the road.

No problem thats what the forum is for! You said the ride is harsh, what kind of shocks did you install? When I had OEM shocks I had a really smooth ride, but I decided I wanted to try Ranchos, and once I did that, you can really "feel the road" as some would say. Turned that smooth ride to crap  :laugh: then I wanted to go with the 2857516 so I installed the leveling keys, and that turned the ride even worse for me. One day I may revert back to OEM shocks, but I don't drive the truck that often, so just haven't thought about it for a while.

I installed new front end parts (shocks, upper control arm, ball joints, and tierods), I also cranked the t bars a bit to raise the front just off of the jounce bumpers. It rode great at first, but it seems to be getting stiff (I feel every small crack in the road).

I installed ACDelco 530-301 Professional Shocks. I know they aren't premium shocks like bilsteins and ranchos, but they have good reviews and my front shocks were toast so I figured anything new would be better.

Im thinking of lowering the torsion keys a few cranks to see if it helps.

Yeah usually cranking the torsion bars will give you a much stiffer ride. Any shocks gotta be better than the worn out ones prior! I would definitely say crank em down a bit and give it a whirl!

Energy Suspension 9.9101G - front
Energy Suspension 9.9155G - rear

These are the bump stop replacements I installed on my '02 - 2500.  My factory bump stops disintegrated over time.  These are polyurethane replacements and relatively easy to install, after the factory brackets (bump stop mounting bolts) are removed.  Mine were rusted and I used PB Blaster over a couple of days.  I made NO changes to my factory suspension (torsion bars).I purchased these from Amazon.  The specs are on the Energy Suspension website.

Well I cranked the torsion bars bolts down so that there are about 7 threads showing or 3/4 of an inch sticking out... the only difference in ride I felt was that it seemed to be a little bouncier. It made little difference in how the cracks in the road felt.

Then I loosened the upper shock mount because the bushing seemed to be squished. Loosening that helped more than I expected, and leads me to think I overtightened them when I installed the new shocks. How tight should the upper shock nut be?

I might look for polyurethane shock and end link bushings, along with the bump stops.

I really appreciate the help!

Surprisingly it doesn't call for much torque. The lower bolt and nut calls for 59FT Lbs and the tenon nut calls for 15FT LBS. Yes, 15. Hard to believe since the drain plug bolt torque is 18ft lbs. To be honest, when I install shocks I don't usually torque them unless its a heavy duty vehicle. But the upper I usually tighten until the rubber begins to deform, and the nut feels tight. I'm not sure if i've ever torqued one that loose before, i've never checked  :laugh:

LOL  :laugh:

So I don't know why but 2 days after cranking the torsion bars down a few threads, and adjusting the tenon nut it rides like a caddy! Maybe the suspension needed to settle after being adjusted?

Anyway, i'm very pleased with the way it rides now!

Back