• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Suggestions For Calibrating Speedometer after larger tires

Daffypuck

I just had new wheels and tires installed and was wondering what is the best, and cheapest, way to re-calibrate the speedo? Ive looked around and it seems the Hypertech is the way to go. But, before I pull the trigger on it, I wanted to make sure there wasnt any other cheaper option. I asked the dealer and they longer can do it on 07's and above.

I figured if a tuner could do it, there would be a downloadable app that could do it too. But after an hour of searching I haven't found much of anything.

Yeah he will need a programmer like the Hypertech, all the other apps are just readers.

You will require a tuner such as the hypertech tuner to do this.

Custom tunes either done by yourself or someone else can do this too but not cheaply at this time.

I am working with a new device that will be able to fully integrate with the databus in our trucks and when this works it MAY be possible to create software allowing this to be done but your likely to have your new tires worn out before that is finished.

Rodney

Thanks fot the suggestions, but yeh, thats all I could find as well. I just dont understand why this is the ONLY avenue. Theres a guy at work that can do it with his PC, but he charges $200! You would think shops would have a program or a piece of machinery that can do it and charge maybe $49 to do it, Seems like a racket to me that the market is cornered like this!

Mainly because the hardware and software to accomplish this stuff is pretty specialized. And expensive. To get a tuner you can run on your PC you can figure $500... Or more depending on the route you go. I am only aware of one current DIY tuner package although I wouldn't be shocked to find others. The biggest issue is that you can't just use a standard ELM based dongle to program because those just don't have the performance necessary.

This new unit I will be working with has the performance to run more than 2 high speed buses from newer vehicles where they run at 500k baud. The before 2006 vehicles run an older protocol at about 10.4k so I am sure the performance will be fine to do pretty much anything you want. I do have the information to be able to pull or push data to any ECM (Electronic Control Module). Since I plan to get full control over my truck I plan to break down some of this stuff. So we shall see.  When that happens you will be able to buy a < $75 dongle, load up some software and be able to do pretty much what you want.

The next issue would be figuring out the tables in the PCM to know what is doing what. 

Rodney

HPTuners charges at least $100 for a license for an individual VIN.  Unless someone with HPTuners has spent the money for a broader license (such as all GM vehicles, or a particular model and year) you are looking at having to spend least $100 if having someone with HPTuners do it.  I've got a license for all 03 Avalanches, (as well as 04 CTS-Vs and a few other individual VINs), but it sounds like you've got a newer AV.

Yup HP tuners... Last time I looked they offered a 10 credit license for $500 to start with. And was like 2 credits per Vin or 6 or something for a whole model year. Not cheap...  If they are using that and are charging $200 it is because they are buying a license for the Vin and then charging for the ability of doing the program. Anyone doing that should charge far less for any updates since they already paid to program your truck.

Rodney

enoniam said:
HPTuners charges at least $100 for a license for an individual VIN.  Unless someone with HPTuners has spent the money for a broader license (such as all GM vehicles, or a particular model and year) you are looking at having to spend least $100 if having someone with HPTuners do it.  I've got a license for all 03 Avalanches, (as well as 04 CTS-Vs and a few other individual VINs), but it sounds like you've got a newer AV.
I get it, but it seems with all the nerds out there (myself included) that have hacked every known device, that there would be an app that allows you to connect via a laptop, phone or tablet and do anything you want to your cars computer. I dont mind paying a bit of money for a service, but $229 to calibrate my damn speedometer seems silly. Thanks for yalls input. I just wanted to make sure there was no other way before I dropped another $200.

Daffypuck said:
...... I just wanted to make sure there was no other way before I dropped another $200.
I can think of 2 options:
Go back to stock tires size
DO the math in your head
Put stickers over cluster to denote the new numbers....

buy your own programmer that will do this and I bet their are many that will plus give you added performance... like hypertech, etc.

The biggest issue is someone needs to create the hardware to allow this to happen. The standard ELM style adapters will NOT work for this and even the upgraded units won't work right. There has been a slow movement to bring this sort of thing to everyone but someone has to have the motivation to build the hardware and then to write the software. Not necessarily a small task.

However this is changing and I would suspect within the next year or so there will be publicly available software to accomplish this for the older GM's (1996-2006). The unit I have in my possession right now certainly has the power to accomplish this goal but the drivers haven't been written for it yet let alone support software to do this sort of thing. I will be working on this and there may be others helping but it will take a little while.

Rodney

Back