• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2009 removal of the trim on the outside of the doors?

jason.sgtski

Quick question,
What is under the exterior door trim panels?  Not cladding.  My 2009 has some molding on the doors that I want to remove.  Is it just stuck on with 3m tape or are there any holes under it?  Is there a preferred way to remove?  I do not plan to reattach.

If your talking the body side molding, use fishing line, very carefully and then goo gone or some such stuff to take off the tape residue, be careful you don't scratch the paint though, you might even want to spray it several times to loosen up the tape a bit before you try and take it off.  It's rather tedious but can be done.  Best of luck

Didit

There's no holes.
As Didit mentioned, a fishing line or waxed dental floss will expedite removal. I start by warming up the entire piece w/ a hair dryer on high or a heat gun on it's lowest setting. the warmer it is, the easier it's going to be to get off. then start on one end and see-saw the line behind the trim and into the adhesive strip, basically using the line as a saw to cut the adhesive strip in half. The removal of the residual adhesive is a PIA, just be patient, it's worth it in the end. It will be tempting to use a heavy solvent like brakekleen or CRC or oven cleaner, but even though they won't work as well, a citrus based cleaner like goof off or goo gone is going to do the least damage to the clear coat as you buff the rest off.
It's a relatively simple thing to do, it just takes some patience and elbow grease, don't rush it, you'll be happier in the end when you don't have to spend time and or $$ buffing out the clear on all 4 doors.

Thank you both for the great replies.  I will wait for a nice warm sunny day and get my heat gun to assist. Sounds like a fairly easy project and some elbow grease to clean it up. 

Get a 3M Eraser Wheel. Makes the process of removing the left over adhesive soooo much easier to remove without damaging the paint.

Back