• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

$13 Intake tube anyone...?

justinf86

I searched, and found a few topics on air box mods, but nothing as far as the tube goes. Looking at the tube frome the MAF to the throttle body, there looks to be extra plastic. Doesn't seem to be efficent for airflow. So after a little research, i chopped mine up (y). Went to the nearest walmart and grabbed a hot pen. A few hours later and I had this..
You can see the silver marker, planning.
gJgzbqO.jpg

5B1PCvY.jpg

After the "cuts" were made.
jhmLi3d.jpg

vMw7ctZ.jpg

And done....kind of
fAdm9YS.jpg

f1ysFDQ.jpg

The pen was just over $13 and it came out pretty good. Sounds like she's breathing better as well. Should have took more pictures, sorry. I used the tip that looks like a spade for all the cutting and welding. Couple small leaks, but I didn't expect to nail it my first run, so a little more convincing to do. I will get pics of it installed tomorrow.

Purpose of that thing you cut off from my understanding is to reduce cabin noise and provide protection from sticking hand in fan.

Hence why you say it sounds different.

ygmn said:
Purpose of that thing you cut off from my understanding is to reduce cabin noise and provide protection from sticking hand in fan.

Hence why you say it sounds different.
Drone chamber is what you cut off so X2

Yes, i know it was to make it quite. But im not worried about quite. I have a 12x3 glasspack that dumps in front of the rear axle. I was strictly talking efficent airflow to the engine, hence why i mentioned it. Thanks though

Installed, still needs to be finished. But its working! Any HP or TQ gains......doubtful. Throttle response is better though. Headers are ordered! (y)
pXTqQjy.jpg

eIupu0R.jpg

Nice inexpensive mod!  (y)  I've got pretty much the same thing with my Airaid tube.  I spent quite a bit more but at least it's prettier! 

Thanks! Yeah, it's kind of ugly right now, but it's functional lol. Once i get it sanded and painted it will look much better. I was looking at a volant system, but thought I would test my skill (y)

So I got it done, looks nice. Imgur changed and now I can't figure out how to get the script I need to post the images here:/

Figured it out. Here it is nice and pretty.
9SNb8tK.jpg

u4p927j.jpg

N41H4HQ.jpg

With the cost of paint & sand paper, it was about $21 total.

Back