• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Procedure for Replacing Radiator in 2002 Avy with 8.1

Proriv63

Anybody have a R&R procedure for radiator with 8.1?  Does the clutch fan need come out?  Also, does the air filter / airbox base need to be removed? Any help is much appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• rad1.GIF
    rad1.GIF
    36.9 KB · Views: 68
  • rad2.GIF
    rad2.GIF
    25.3 KB · Views: 69
Just received new radiator from NAPA for my 2002 with 8.1.  The radiator core is much thinner than the OEM radiator?  I'm concerned it will have less cooling capacity. The Napa Part is #2918.  My AVY has engine oil cooler within the radiator.  Any feedback appreciated?  thanks

From what I read on the AC Delco site the specs on the 8.1 radiators were reduced from 54mm (2.12in) to 34mm(1.33in) so I think it will be OK.

It surprised me too, but I think the rad and the whole cooling system was overkill. They wanted to make sure the 8.1 did not have over heating problem.
I have problems getting my motor up to temp in the winter it gets up to about 160 and no more.

Beside having a 38 inch wide core the fan is supposed to be able to flow 11,000 fpm of air where 4 to 5 is good for any other truck with electric fans..

All the replacements I've seen are the reduced thickness.. Let us know how it works, I don't see how it could be the same efficiency. It has plastic tanks and aluminum core, same materials as the original but thinner.

I had one custom made at BeCool.

Attachments

• Rad1.jpg
    Rad1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Rad2.jpg
    Rad2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Rad3.jpg
    Rad3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 25
Got it installed today...so far so good...just idling in the driveway the temp is the same as the original. We'll see when towing in hotter weather.  One last question:  does the vent hose on the drivers-side tank get hooked to anything?  It was spitting coolant out of it when I originally started it, then I turned the hose upward and it stopped spitting coolant.

Back