• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

motor just turned off

lynnboy021

few days ago I was about 2 mins from my house and my truck just turned off like the computer was dead.. so I was driving down a hill and then stopped to let a car go and the truck did not wanted to respond to the gas peddle at all and my truck was just idling. so I pressed the gas peddle all the way down and it did nothing at all, then the car just died and I lost control and almost hit a tree. so I just let the truck roll down the hill got into my driveway safely and I tried to restart it but it would just crank and crank and then it started but sound like it was off timing and again did not respond to the gas peddle.... let it sit for 5 min, restart the truck and it started right up like nothing happened.. did this happen to anyone or knows why? truck is a 2002 1500 4x4 north face

Any service engine warnings.

Any Flashing Check engine light?

What did INFO CENTER say?

lynnboy021 said:
pump is about 3 years old...  but hopefully its not

My brother-in-law only got about 5 miles away from the dealership after picking up his brand new truck.

Fuel pump was dead and had to be replaced.

So, new or nearly new means very little.

What brand of fuel pump did you have installed?

Others have reported some bad luck with those other than OEM.

I would start with the easy stuff and check the fuel pressure, then go from there.

nope no flashing lights, no info nothing at all. it just died like I turned the key off... I do have a check engine light but its only for a evap leak but I will hook up my scanner and recheck..

I replaced the pump with a new oem pump that cost me like almost $300...  but talking about fuel pumps, does you guys pump hum/whine really loud? pump always made that sound but never gave me any problems.

Has the fuel filter ever been changed. ?

Evap issues can burn up the fuel pump...

Evap performs 2 functions.

1 - Allow air into tank to replace fuel as it gets used up or if it shrinks due to air temp dropping.

2 - Allow air to leave the tank as the tank gets filled up or the fuel expands as it warms up.

If the portion allowing air into the tank is not working it can cause a vacuum in the tank which the fuel pump has to over come to pull fuel out. If you let this continue for a long time and you commonly fill up your tank all the way and draw it all the way down before refilling you will produce a significant enough vacuum in the tank to cause issues with the fuel pump being able to pull fuel and may dramatically shorten the life of the fuel pump.

If the portion allowing air to leave the tank is not working generally it becomes difficult to fill your tank at a reasonable rate.

Rodney

Back