• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Question on the High torque gear reduction starters on 03-06 2500s.

MS03 2500

PM 2017
PM 2015
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
I have a 6 amp power draw on the wire that goes from the red junction box to the starter. It's not a conventional starter so I thought maybe someone with a sport car like a corvette maybe able to shed their experience. I ordered a new one because to me my thought is if it's not in start mode it should not be drawing power.

Now about 2 months ago I started it once and smelled something electrical cooking but it starts fine the alternator output power is correct and runs fine I'm just concerned about the 6 amps.

It looks like this and nothing is in the manual on this issue (I think.)

337-1192_Primary.jpg

Your talking about the main battery cable to the starter right?

Do you have AUX Battery with the factory wiring?

Yup the the cable that goes to the starter, second battery comes from the isolator thru mega fuse to the red box also.

Your probably seeing the Aux battery charging..

The strange thing is the service manual make no mention of it, I'm going to disconnect some  of the wiring sunday or monday to see if the junction box to starter wire is good.  PS the 6 amp is there with the motor off.

The manual says I have a Pg-260M starter but here is a picture it's a small thing. The motor is no bigger than the solenoid..

0429171916_zpsamfvuhrq.jpg

0429171916a_zps50d7yqe2.jpg

You should have battery voltage at the solenoid
on the main cable from the battery/red junction box.
The trigger wire should only have voltage with ignition at start.
Did not know what amperage should be at the solenoid.  

If you have voltage/amperage to the starter key off;
Bad solenoid? Stuck/bad contacts?
You can clean, inspect, ohm. To check for shorts.

I had a costume made Hitachi gear reduction style starter that went through
several small blocks and last installed on a 427. With the starter, MSD 6A box and Distributor
a touch of the key the 427 fired right off all the time.  

Thanks I know something got fried when I had that bad smell, and I finally isolated it to the starter circuit. They do not sell individual parts for it and they don't even want a core deposit for it. It's still working fine but has that 6a draw, when the voltage of the main battery get below 11 volts because of the draw it will not start. I just turn on the isolator then the second battery starts it up.

It's almost impossible to find small shops of any kind any more.
They all got squeezed out.  

Well, my saga continues after replacing the starter the draw was still there.

I believe Rodney posted something that may be the problem and I saw another post on the Cadillac Forum about it. Here is what a saw when I take the power wire off the alternator and put a circuit tester between the wire and the alternator post I see 9 volts. Should that be there because I thought the diodes should stop all power to the alternator?

If I ground the wire I see full 12.3 volts from the battery, if anyone has time see if yours does this also.

MS03 2500 said:
Well, my saga continues after replacing the starter the draw was still there.

I believe Rodney posted something that may be the problem and I saw another post on the Cadillac Forum about it. Here is what a saw when I take the power wire off the alternator and put a circuit tester between the wire and the alternator post I see 9 volts. Should that be there because I thought the diodes should stop all power to the alternator?

If I ground the wire I see full 12.3 volts from the battery, if anyone has time see if yours does this also.

I will try that after breakfast and see what happens!!

CarMech1969

MS03 2500:

I went out and checked on my truck, and the results are similar to yours.

With my voltmeter connected between alternator wire and ground, I get 12.3 volts (battery voltage).

Voltmeter connected between alternator wire and alternator stud: 10.2 volts.

I tried unplugging the exciter wires from the alternator to see if there would be a difference - nope, no change.

Therefore, it's safe to assume this is normal?

With everything connected and the engine running, I have 15 volts. A bit on the high side I suppose. I have always seen a charging voltage of 14.4 to be typical. That being said, it's cold out this morning, so that might have something to do with it.

Anyway, that's what I was able to come up with!

CarMech1969

Back