• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Size of Stock Spare Tire

dna9656

I know it comes as a shock to some but I run the stock tires size on my Avi  :laugh:  My Avi didn't come with most of the spare tire equipment. I had to buy a wheel (16") as the 17" steel wheel wouldn't work (center hole too small on the 17") with the spare tire hoist.  So, now I need the tire for the 16" wheel. What size do I need? The size is not listed in the Owner's manual. I have the OEM tire iron and the bag it comes in but none of the extensions to reach the spare tire hoist. I am missing the POS jack (I have a hydraulic bottle jack thank you) and the wheel chalks. I have some Harbor Freight wheel chalks so now I need only the spare tire tool kit, and I have found it on E-Bay. I have the lock, but I need the tube and such to finish. I have the lock (2 pcs.) retainer kit. So next on the list is the tire, any help would be appreciated! (y)  

Here is the RPO code for the spare tire on my truck:

ZNK Tire Spare P245/75R16-109S BW R/PE ST TL ALS

Hope that helps.

(y)

If I'm not mistaken, the door sticker has your tire size on it also, or at least they used to

Attachments

• 06spare.GIF
    06spare.GIF
    45.1 KB · Views: 50
Thank you all for the responses! TRUE: The tire size is on a sticker inside the driver's door.
I do not think (I haven't looked yet) that the spare size is listed there. The tire hoist in the back won't fit through the center hole on the 17" chevy steel wheels I obtained. I read someplace my original spare was a different size than the regular tires, I ordered the correct wheel after getter the P/N from the local Dealer, the spare hoist fits through the hole on this wheel. I found my spare tire RPO (ZCG) code on the chart one of you provided. Now I know what tire to buy. Given the same brand and model of tire, I wonder if the outside diameter on the 16" tire is the same as the 17" tire...

Try this.

http://www.tire-calc.com/#

dna9656 said:
Thank you all for the responses! TRUE: The tire size is on a sticker inside the driver's door.
I do not think (I haven't looked yet) that the spare size is listed there. The tire hoist in the back won't fit through the center hole on the 17" chevy steel wheels I obtained. I read someplace my original spare was a different size than the regular tires, I ordered the correct wheel after getter the P/N from the local Dealer, the spare hoist fits through the hole on this wheel. I found my spare tire RPO (ZCG) code on the chart one of you provided. Now I know what tire to buy. Given the same brand and model of tire, I wonder if the outside diameter on the 16" tire is the same as the 17" tire...
I think all 16+17 came with a 16" steel spare rim and mine is 265/70R/16 tire. I was reading some where you can use the 16" spare on the trucks with 17" wheels in case of a flat???

1500s from 2002-2006 used a 16" steel wheel spare with temp tire.
Even if it had 17" alloy wheels. Tire OD would be about the same.

2007+ require, I think, a 17" wheel due to large calipers brake in front.

Our 2007 LT3 has a 17" wheel for the replacement spare tire and was originally equipped with a 17" wheel when new.  

I believe my 2003 came with 65 series 17" tires, but a 70 series 16" spare, giving a pretty close diameter match.

Just throwing this out there. If you have a G80/locker rear end get a spare
tire the same size diameter as the tires you are running. Or as close as you can.
Things tend to get messy with a locker with different diameter tires. 

EXT4ME said:
Here is the RPO code for the spare tire on my truck:

ZNK Tire Spare P245/75R16-109S BW R/PE ST TL ALS

Hope that helps.

(y)

A belated "Thanks!!!" I found (the hard way of course) that the stock spare wheel has a smaller center opening than the 17" steel wheels Chevy uses as main wheels. So now I have 4 17" Steel wheels I have no use for and ended up buying the Chevy Spare wheel because the the main wheels can't be carried by the winch that (the center hole is too large) holds the spare up under the truck. That's what I call "sales people in the design studio". This happens when what has traditionally been the way things were done (the same dimensioned wheel for the spare as used for the the road) for years.

dna9656 said:
A belated "Thanks!!!" I found (the hard way of course) that the stock spare wheel has a smaller center opening than the 17" steel wheels Chevy uses as main wheels. So now I have 4 17" Steel wheels I have no use for and ended up buying the Chevy Spare wheel because the the main wheels can't be carried by the winch that (the center hole is too large) holds the spare up under the truck. That's what I call "sales people in the design studio". This happens when what has traditionally been the way things were done (the same dimensioned wheel for the spare as used for the the road) for years.
That seems very odd to me.  I can understand how the rim would be a smaller 16 inch vs 17 inch because the overall diameter of the tire can still be the same. I don't understand how the center hub opening could be a smaller size than the factory 17 inch wheels which fit snuggly on the wheel centering hub.  Do you have aftermarket wheels?  My winter wheels have reducer rings since the opening is a bit larger than stock.

Well I THOUGHT I ordered the proper wheels but come to think of it a friend of mine had access to a LOT of wheels so I asked him if he could find me a Chevy wheel, 17" X 7" never thinking the center hole made any difference....it didn't make sense to me either. So He brought FOUR of them.
These are the wheels I use now. I know they aren't the correct wheels for the 2006 but they are round, hold a 17" tire and at $25.00 a piece the price was right.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 4
2013 size P275/55R20 111S.
As for the tools, I thought I also had none until I found them in the bed storage compartment. They had slid way forward and when looking did not see them.
the spare is also the same size and type.

I wish I could find ALL my RPO codes on ONE site! I bet I'm not alone one that one either!
These are the "Z" codes on my Serv. ID.
ZGC, ZM9, ZW9, ZY1,Z71,Z82.
My Avi is an '06.

dna9656 said:
I wish I could find ALL my RPO codes on ONE site! I bet I'm not alone one that one either!
These are the "Z" codes on my Serv. ID.
ZGC, ZM9, ZW9, ZY1,Z71,Z82.
My Avi is an '06.

Take a look at this link , post #4 is for a 2006 AV:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=84494.0

2013 size P275/55R20 111S.
As for the tools, I thought I also had none until I found them in the bed storage compartment. They had slid way forward and when looking did not see them.
the spare is also the same size and type.
Will the spare tire hoist hold a 20” tire and rim

Back