• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Wouldja still buy a 2002 today???

silversport

SM 2003
I miss my 2002 Z71...loaded...it never gave me any issues and was versatile when I needed...I rarely ever used or felt as though I needed 4WD for my purposes in ChicagoLand.

I just saw a 2002 Z66 (so it should have the locking differential G80?) for sale nearby...it is a one owner with 82K miles and carfax shows an accident in the rear (repaired)...a cursory look shows it looks pretty nice but they are asking $10K. (kbb shows 6500-7500 a better price range)

I have been out of the game for this vehicle for some time and admittedly have only a sometime need for a pick up type vehicle but I really liked everything about my previous '02 and thought...maybe???...

I am reacquainting myself here with the early Avalanches by reading threads specifically on the Z66 version but I'm guessing that one with proper tires should do just fine in winter's clutches hereabouts...

thoughts?...advice???...any insight you'd care to share???...

Thanks,

Bill

whooops, I see this should have been asked in the Buyer Questions and Answers Forum...mods if you care or need to move, my apologies for placing this in the wrong Forum.

Bill

I know I don't have much experience with Chicago winter driving but several threads by other members state they live up north and have no problems driving with a 2wd AV in the winter. It has a lot to do with driver ability and the fact that the AV has great weight distribution to begin with. I imagine too that most use it for commuting ,not serious deep soft snow. The question I would ask myself is, do I really need to be out in severe conditions or not? Then use common sense.
In other threads too you can read about the holes in Carfax reports.......they only document repairs or maintenance done at a reporting facility. If repairs are done at a small independent shop or by the owner you may not have all accidents/flood damage etc. on the report.
If you are not a trained mechanic you may want to take one along for a vehicle inspection before you buy or take it to his shop on the test ride to get it up on a lift to look for rust and repairs on this 15 year old vehicle. Especially if they use lots of salt on the roads up there.
Pricing is always supply and demand and since gas prices are down sales of larger trucks and SUVs are back up now.

Should read this thread for snow driving and a 2wd AV:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,150808.0.html

I still have my 2002 with about 162k.... Last Decemeber she was promoted to House Truck so she gets to rest more and only does Home Depot runs and other shopping chores.

Mine is still in good shape and runs well.
Just had my well trusted mechanic go thru the entire truck.
All he did was change tranny fluid and filter, rear main seal, replace coolant, some Emiision vent Stuff which I knew about for about a year.... and other little tiny things you would not worry about

Whay do I say this... Wanted truck in top notch shape since she will sit for longer periods.

but all that added up to I think $1800 with everything he did and he did a lot of little things...

SO I would expect some repairs but they are not a lot in the big world picture.

but the price they offer seems way high... in my area a 2002 would be in the $5-7 range depening on miles etc.

so run that truck thru Edmonds, KBB, NADA & True car etc...

getg an idea of what others pay...

then test drive it...
look at it all over.... under hood and under truck.

If you like it make a offer...

Good luck

My feedback on the price.  I paid 10k last summer for a 2004 with 70k.  Its a z71 loaded with a cap topper on it.  Great condition.  I did find that as soon as you get close to the 100k miles or less the prices would go above NADA.  The low mileage are extremely hard to find and you pay for it. 

Also, because of the age and for me now getting close to 90k, I have had to replace a ton of stuff.  I feel like the owner I bought it off of did not take it on long trips and I do.  Those parts that were 12+ years old were being babied and then I bought it and took it cross country pulling a trailer and everything started to break/leak.  I guess this is my argument to not have a super low mileage older vehicle.  Engine and transmission still good.  Just all the smaller issues that add up. 

I just bought an 02 z71 in november. Maintenance was severely lacking (ball joints and whatnot). But 6 months later I haven't regretted a moment. 170 on mine when I bought her. 178 on it now.

I bought my 02 5 years ago with 135k on the clock.  I now have 170K on it and drive it daily. The only major problems I have has are 1 front hub and the steering box needed to be replaced.

thanks everyone...exactly what I wanted to read.  It appears that the owner of this one may have had all the necessary (and some unecessary but dealer offered) maintenance done...I would like to get it up on a lift to look for rust or how bad the damage reported to the rear end was as well as get the price down a bit but that's why they invented negotiation.

Thanks again,

Bill

still driving my 02.... 147K

only issue.....

i think i am on transmission number 9.    :E:  :beating:  :needhug:

serious....nobody has a clue why.....

fsuguy said:
serious....nobody has a clue why.....

Your heavy right foot...

I have been Avless for 4 years and have a looked at a few since then.  I always start with the 2002 and 2003s.  Best built with fewest problems reported according to Consumer Reports.  Chevy started removing some nice touches like the under hood light (which you usually have to flick with your finger to make it work...but at least it is there), dual bed lights, and actual interior door lights (not reflectors).

I did have a used 2002 for a few years that started with 140k.  No issues and I regret turning that truck in 4 years ago.

The 2002s I have looked at recently range from 110 to 220 k miles and at best are in fair condition.  Tuning, missing bed mats, silly oversized skinny tires, all detract from the reliability and value of these classics.

Once I decided on a "big block" to replace my Tundra, I began looking for either a Silverado or an Avalanche 2500.  I looked for almost 6 months before finding my Avalanche last fall, a one owner '02 with 95K miles for $9,600.  It is used exclusively for towing my RV and is a "tow beast".  Since I only tow about 3000 miles a year, I expect it to last me 10 more years.  They are getting really hard to find.  If anything ever happened to mine, I would definitely buy another one if I could find one.

lol

On topic, if mine decided to self-incinerate, I'd look at a 2002. Since mileage is not an issue, I would look at a west-coast 2500. I would actually go for anything 2002 to 2004. You're gonna need maintenance but that's expected.

silversport said:
I miss my 2002 Z71...loaded...it never gave me any issues and was versatile when I needed...I rarely ever used or felt as though I needed 4WD for my purposes in ChicagoLand.

I just saw a 2002 Z66 (so it should have the locking differential G80?) for sale nearby...it is a one owner with 82K miles and carfax shows an accident in the rear (repaired)...a cursory look shows it looks pretty nice but they are asking $10K. (kbb shows 6500-7500 a better price range)

I have been out of the game for this vehicle for some time and admittedly have only a sometime need for a pick up type vehicle but I really liked everything about my previous '02 and thought...maybe???...

I am reacquainting myself here with the early Avalanches by reading threads specifically on the Z66 version but I'm guessing that one with proper tires should do just fine in winter's clutches hereabouts...

thoughts?...advice???...any insight you'd care to share???...

Thanks,

Bill
  if it 's a rust belt state car/truck it's not worth anything  sorry rust buckets have zero value...  if it was a California one then it might be worth it

Back