• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replaced front axle seal twice! Still leaking, what now?

tomboarderns

I have replaced the front passenger axle seal two times now.  The first time I admit that I did not take my time enough and thought that I probably screwed something up. 

The second time I was super careful and really took my time, used an extremely light sandpaper to clean up the axle and did everything according to the book.  It lasted about 3-4 weeks this time. 

I am using GM parts.  When I went back to the GM parts dealer they said that it is not under warranty unless I can prove the part failed, which is impossible.  I bought another one at a different chevy dealer and asked the guy if there are any tricks and he just said they all leak. 

My question is what should I do now?  Anyone have any luck with aftermarket seals.  I saw that Timken makes one.  Should I consider that something has happened to the axle or housing and that is causing the leak?  Has anyone replaced the housing or shaft and actually had it stop leaking?  Should I just give up and put up with the drip every once in awhile.  It is just wet on the housing, doesn't actually leak onto the ground. 

Truck is 2004 avy z71 88k on it now. 

Back