• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Lost Drivers Side Speaker Audio

HostileJava

I need some help with the speaker wiring on an 02 2500. I have an aftermarket head unit in it and the factory amp bypass installed. Everything was working fine and then I noticed I lost audio on the drivers side front door. Upon further inspection the tweeter has audio but the mid range speaker does not. I pulled the door panel, inspected the speaker and wiring, tested with another speaker and my conclusions is that I am not getting power to the mid-range speaker. So my questions is, where does the mid-range speaker and tweeter wiring split, it didn't look like it split in the door? I'm assuming that is where I am losing the signal to the mid-range speaker. Is there a crossover that may have gone bad going to the door? Thanks in advance for any help.

If the tweeter is on the A pillar which if I remember right it is, your crossover from the radio would be in the A pillar, I think, lol or follow the wires back from the tweeter to where it cojoins the other wires.

Didit

Didit said:
If the tweeter is on the A pillar which if I remember right it is, your crossover from the radio would be in the A pillar, I think, lol or follow the wires back from the tweeter to where it cojoins the other wires.

Didit

The tweeter and mid range speaker are both in the door by where your leg would be. It seems like they may join somewhere under the dash?

The '02 is wired differently that any other year truck so what I post here relates to my '03 but MAY NOT apply to your '02.

I have the BOSE system in my truck. The Tweeter has a capacitor which acts as a bass blocker or passive crossover. There is no other crossover in the system other than the crossover built into the BOSE amplifier for the subwoofer output.

The tweeter its self has two wires that go to the plug. From the plug to the normal harness there are 4 wires even though there are only two plugs in the tweeter harness. The Door connector is behind the kick panel and only two wires go to that connector and only two go to the speaker in the door.

With this in mind I suspect the main speaker feed goes to the Tweeter plug first then goes to the door speaker. Without disassembling my Harness I can not verify this however since the OEM factory service manuals only say that they are wired in parallel. It does show the Capacitor on the tweeter if I recall correctly and no other components in the line.

So with that in mind if you swap a known working speaker into the door and it doesn't make sound then check the plug and wires going to the plug in the kickpanel first... If that is correct then check the tweeter connection and insure all 4 wires are connected solidly. If I understand my truck properly and your truck is wired the same then if the wiring checks out you have an issue in the wiring somewhere in the harness (unlikely) You SHOULD be able to do a continuity test on the wiring with the radio off of the wires to insure they are connected.

Again, this is how my '03 is. Your '02 may be different.

STOCK 2002.

NO BOSE OPTION

Speakers are in the door - woofer & tweeter.
Single pair of wires come from system into door where it goes to Woofer first.
Then a parallel pair of wires go from woofer to Tweeter but has a BASS BLOCKER installed.

SO if one is playing both should play since the source comes from same wire.

So maybe whoever installed your custom radio did things different.

First swao another woofer to see if it will play on same wire.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  As I stated in my first post.  I did already try a known good speaker.  This was working at some point and then stopped.  I did the replacement so there is no weird wiring being done.  The front door speakers were replaced first leaving the stock tweeters.  After this both speakers still worked.  Next the head unit was replaced using a store bought Pioneer to Chevy wiring harness, after that the front speakers were all still working.  Audio sounded crappy so I bought and installed the bypass.  After this was installed the speakers all stilled worked.  After a few months I noticed I was no longer getting much/any volume from my side.  I will have to pull the door panel again and inspect the wiring.

Thanks again for the feedback.  I will let you know what I find.

redheadedrod said:
If you do the checks and still have an issue it is likely your radio

Maybe I'll just throw the stock head unit back in quick and see if I get the speaker back.  Just seems odd that I have the tweeter working on that side.  I guess maybe that channel could be damaged and not putting out enough power?

Finally got a chance to look at this again yesterday, turns out there was a break in the factory wire between the wiring harness in the door and the speaker, I initially decided to just cut the wire off and run one off the tweeter to the speaker, once I cut it off I did a continuity test for S and G and it was bad, soldered on some new wires and connectors and good to go.

Back