• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

RIP '02 Z71

twharvey

I came out one morning to find this with no note or anything. Fortunately the police caught up to him before they even finished my report. Unfortunately the threshold for totaling a 15 year old truck with 237K is pretty low so I had to say goodbye to a longtime friend. When I bought it in '04 my kids were still in booster seats. They learned to drive on it, earned an Eagle award in Scouts with it, and hauled their stuff to their first two years of college.

The insurance payoff was decent and I was able to get a mint 2003 Yukon XL without having to go into car payments again. We're about to see if the Av FTDRL/All on Hi/Fogs on w/low beam instructions will work on the new station wagon.

Attachments

• IMG_6422.JPG
    IMG_6422.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6424.JPG
    IMG_6424.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_6435.JPG
    IMG_6435.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 194
Sorry for your loss.

:(

Man, that stinks.  I'm sorry for your loss.  It doesn't look bad enough to be totalled.  Was there frame damage?

I wonder what the other car looked like. I think that's how they caught it.

Sorry for your loss we do get attached to them.

frito said:
Man, that stinks.  I'm sorry for your loss.  It doesn't look bad enough to be totalled.  Was there frame damage?

The estimate was $4,800 before they took anything off so there might have been underlying damage also. State Farm said they would have fixed it for that cost but there always seem to be supplements when they start working so they totaled it. There was damage on the left side also from stuff getting pushed around. It even popped the fusebox cover off under the hood.

MS03 2500 said:
I wonder what the other car looked like. I think that's how they caught it.

Sorry for your loss we do get attached to them.

As the Lt. was taking my report a call came in for a car catching on fire in a nearby parking lot. It wasn't catching on fire it was steam from the busted radiator. The Lt. grabbed a handful of paint chips from off the ground and went to check. It was about 6 hours after he hit it so I'm not sure why the car started steaming at that point unless he just started it up again. He had been drinking but it was too late to prove anything. He lives two houses away and actually did come up to apologize. It was a younger guy who made a really stupid mistake. He has a number of hefty fines to pay now. It was an Acura and was torn up pretty good. He showed me pictures.

The insurance settlement was fair and probably more than I could have gotten in trade so I'm good other than the sentimental attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 163
Sadly they don't repair cladded AVs beside the age you can't get new parts.

I wonder if would have said the same thing if he did not get caught, but people do make mistakes and panic

Do a google search "fleece all light on" it much easier for the lights.

I was looking at the Yukon Denali XL when I found out about the AV

Have to say my heart skipped a beat when I saw the title of your thread.
Sorry to hear about your ride but very glad it's not the member that has that name.

If that is where you parked it all night, it is illegal in Illinois. The front of a car does not have any real reflectors. In Illinois you need to park in the direction of traffic. The rear of a car has reflectors (tail lights) that make it easier to see at night.

Need4Speed said:
If that is where you parked it all night, it is illegal in Illinois. The front of a car does not have any real reflectors. In Illinois you need to park in the direction of traffic. The rear of a car has reflectors (tail lights) that make it easier to see at night.
Nebraska is the same as is most states:
In all states and territories, drivers are required to park in the same direction as moving traffic when parked on the adjacent curb . This law exists for various reasons, ranging from the obstruction of your rear reflector lights at night to causing unnecessary confusion for other drivers.

Where you at? I sure could use that rear bumper.  Hard to find the 02 ones in good shape.  My oldest son learned to drive in my Avalanche, hence the need for a new rear bumper.  :laugh:

Wickman said:
Where you at? I sure could use that rear bumper.  Hard to find the 02 ones in good shape.  My oldest son learned to drive in my Avalanche, hence the need for a new rear bumper.  :laugh:

I had two kids learn to drive in it. You don't want that bumper. :laugh:

JASKIN said:
Nebraska is the same as is most states:
In all states and territor
Need4Speed said:
ies, drivers are required to park in the same direction as moving traffic when parked on the adjacent curb . This law exists for various reasons, ranging from the obstruction of your rear reflector lights at night to causing unnecessary confusion for other drivers.

It's a 20 mph cul de sac and he was so drunk he had already missed his own driveway. I'd venture he wasn't going to see any reflectors.

Ow! i often cringe when I park my truck on the street, as this happend to me once with a car I was trying to sell for my mother.

Back