• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

BedSlide/Bed Organizer built my way.

MS03 2500

PM 2017
PM 2015
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
The start I wanted to organize the bed. 3 things I wanted

1. Stop things from sliding all over the bed
2. I wanted something to hold my Golf Clubs
3. I needed it to be removable by 1 person.  

So I had 2 sets of 500 lbs 60 inch full extension slides in the parts pile that I wanted to make a bed slide with.

So it starts

sTmsmU4.jpg

V20npfG.jpg

The frame

T3V0Iyq.jpg

0i99Wxu.jpg

weeIkoy.jpg

I forgot to mention the right side tops are supported by angle aluminum(cheap) and corner braces.

ixOfuth.jpg

95dtuiC.jpg

I like this project a lot!

(y)

There is another one but longer on the tailgate light bar. Scanning turns, running light and brakes lights.

The box started as a simple idea then I got the 'may as wells'

I never planned to put doors on the top but 'may as wells'

Doors to wide to open without removing the cover so 'may as wells' cut them in half and hinge them.

It never ends with me  :E: :E:

frito said:
Yeah, but it keeps you busy.   >:D

The last thing I need is something to keep me busy. If ya look at the first few picture that is snow in the background I started this in February.

If anyone wants to know how you seal MDF here ya go, it hardens the fibers like a rock and is waterproof.

Gi7qRiO.jpg

lgNxaIW.jpg

MS03 2500 said:
The last thing I need is something to keep me busy. If ya look at the first few picture that is snow in the background I started this in February.

If anyone wants to know how you seal MDF here ya go, it hardens the fibers like a rock and is waterproof.

0522171730a_zpsvluyvmz7.jpg

0522171730_zps3nwldn93.jpg

I hope my wife doesn't see that stuff, she would probably buy a case.  

Hugz said:
Hope to see it in October!!
Looks very nice

You'll see me the AV maybe, took her to Augusta and she wasn't too happy with the
distance. So if I straighten her out I'll bring her.

masters-badge.jpg

Wickman said:
I hope my wife doesn't see that stuff, she would probably buy a case.  

That could be a good thing, with the fumes that stuff puts out she could be very happy LOL.   Happy wife happy life.  :laugh:

Got the laminate all sealed up and edge banding on.

Still to do

Paint wood trim
Attach the slides
Install the drawers handles

phygb5C.jpg

7C8V7DX.jpg

phygb5C.jpg

How did you know I was working on this again. LOL

Got most of the hardware on and the slide attached to the frame, hopefully I will get the slides attached to the drawers today.

It's a little slow because I had to use a JB Weld on the metal parts that I used to attach it to the frame.

Some of the edge banding did not hold up too well, so I have to rethink using it.

phygb5C.jpg

Oh yeah before I forget to tell you, for anyone attempting this install the rails at an angle front higher than the rear.

That way when you pull out the drawer it will clear the tailgate, the drawer rises up as you pull it out. Mine is about 3/4 inch higher and helps with closing.

zW3ikd4.jpg

g3MUN0U.jpg

It's looking good and it's nice to know about the storage box clearing the tailgate. Where did you get the slides or what are they off of?

I got them off ebay but home depot sells them too.

Don't go any longer or they won't fit the bed.

Look for 60 inch full extension drawer slide also on Amazon.

MS03 2500 said:
I got them off ebay but home depot sells them too.

Don't go any longer or they won't fit the bed.

Look for 60 inch full extension drawer slide also on Amazon.

Thanks for the info.

You are welcome I think I paid around 150 for both sets.

The problem is see with these slides is they all use a #10 screw which I think is too small so you have to use a lot of them.

That thing I said about keeping the weight dow? did not go so good it's about 250 lbs

I was going to use clevis pins to mount the drawers but could not find them that small.

I'm going to call this completed, but I still have to do some adjusting.

Note the slides can only take a #10 screw panhead or flathead use all the holes in the slides

Frist picture is the hardware I used to attach the slides to the frame.

Right one is a 3/4 inch coupler nut I used for the center rail to attach both rails in the same hole.
Note: for the picture I used flat head screws but I actually used panhead screws.

Center I used what they called a post screw and nut to mount the slides to the drawers

Left the 3/4 inch coupler nut for slides to the frame...

I used JB Weld on all the nuts and post screw so they won't come out, but you can unscrew the screws to remove the drawers.

YoNm6wG.jpg

There she is at full extension and loaded

HxKNWR6.jpg

lUJFOXt.jpg

Well done, sir.

(y)

Thx the price I paid to do this Mod was way under the price I paid for the single golf club that got bent.

I keep a lot of stuff in the bed. :laugh:

Great job... Looks good...

Back