• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Should I Powder Coat or Paint my rear bumper?

wrpfctr7

I finally got around to repairing my rear bumper on my 2007 Av.  
IMG_6023_zpsqyusedqs.jpg

I bought a new bumper, so now im trying to figure out if I should Powder Coat the bumper or just have it painted.   ???  
IMG_6024_zpsyg1kzeyx.jpg

I cant match the bumpers color exactly with the powder coat (this is the closest I can get with powder coat colors)
IMG_6028_zpsu1uzysz0.jpg

So Im wondering, since I cant match the color EXACTLY with the powder coat, should just go ahead and have it painted. Any suggestions/comments?  

Also, does anyone know if GM originally powder coated their body colored bumpers or is that paint?

Would you clear coat over the powder? I don't know much either way....just wondering about the shine

The swatch that I got from the company that supplies the powder states that it is a gloss color.  Now if it comes that way or will the powder coating company have to add a clear coat over it is something I have to discuss with the powder coating company.

Powder coat is practically indestructible but will NOT have the shine of a clear coat. It is the same stuff you see on most file cabinets, and your major appliances.

If you look at my thread (Look for Knightrider) you will see in later threads where I had my rims powder coated with a gloss black.

Would almost be better off to go with bedliner... But would have to do that on your front bumper too to make it match.

Rodney

Powder coat it that off white in your picture. Scuff it and have it painted/cleared to match the truck. Then you have the best of both worlds, just costs a little more.

So powder coat first, then have it painted to match the truck.  That sounds like a good idea! :D  I was just worried that I couldn't get the powder EXACTLY the same color as the truck.  Thanks for the tip blu_fuz!

wrpfctr7 said:
So powder coat first, then have it painted to match the truck.  That sounds like a good idea! :D  I was just worried that I couldn't get the powder EXACTLY the same color as the truck.  Thanks for the tip blu_fuz!
I am no paint finish expert but I would NOT recommend scuffing up a powder-coated surface and then painting over it in clear or otherwise. As mentioned by redheadedrod the beauty of that finish is in it's durability. Maybe consider a complementary color to have the bumper stand out somewhat if you can't get a perfect match. Otherwise I wouldn't waste time and money on powder-coating and just get it painted, then deal with parking lots scratches as they come......

We should establish why you want it powder coated first of all. Protect against chips? Rust prevention?

Powder coat is the ultimate base for any sprayed on finish. It will still protect full penetration through the finishes to bare metal and be the best protection against rust.

I figured powder coating would give me a more durable coating other than paint.  i do believe that the original bumper MAY have been powder coated, due to the image of the dented spot on the bumper now.  It looks like the bumper was powder coated and not just painted at the factory.

I think what I might just do is have it powder coated and if the color I choose does not match up to the color of the truck to my liking, Ill just have it painted over.

Back