• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

On the fence...

justinf86

Not really sure which forum this fits. I currently have a 2004 Avalanche 1500 Z71 with almost 122k miles on it. I have been building and putting money in it and I love it. But the other day while i was under it, I noticed a good amount of body rot behind the rear wheel wells. Also the passenger front fender is starting to bubble. I found a 2007 that is already lifted, with wheels and tires plus more. But the 07 has just over 200k miles. Debating on putting more $ into my 04 or trade it for the 07. I really like the 07. Input is more than welcome!

There are many things that make it hard to decide which way to go I'm sure. I would make a positive and negative list and of course you would be the one to decide. Ex.:

Positives: The 2004 is a known vehicle especially if you have known it since new, it has lower miles, you have some bond to the vehicle already and you know it's condition. If you caught the rust early it may not cost too much to fix. Some say the first generation AV is more like a truck then an SUV. No Displacement on Demand to deal with on motor. Three years is not really a long time if you plan to keep your AV a long time compared to the 2007

Negatives: The 2004 is rusting (didn't say whether it was cladded or not but cladded parts are harder to find), from your brief description it sounds like you want to put a lift kit on it and it doesn't have one yet. Unknown expense on replacing rusted panels and that can depend on doing it yourself or hiring a shop to do it. Some owners prefer the interior design on the second generation AV and consider it more of an SUV to a truck. (I have owned a 2004 Z71 and a 2008 Z71 and given a choice would still own the 2008 since my whole family loves the 2008 for many reasons.)

Positive for 2007 : It is 3 years newer and may be easier to find parts in future like body panels etc. It already has a lift and you mention tires and wheels (hopefully your 2004 already has tires and wheels-  >:D ) , I am guessing you have looked for rusting on the AV and it has none. Improved interior.

Negatives for 2007: It has almost twice the mileage as your 2004 so it may need motor and other drive-train work that can get expensive soon. As mentioned above three years is not a long time in age if you plan to keep it a long time. You didn't mention the vehicle accident,flood or maintenance record so that may be unknowns that you could discover later. Some members have mentioned problems in the 2007 AVs and the DoD system causing oil leaks and motor repairs so they stay away from 2007 AVs. Not sure what the actual percentage of problem AVs are though since those who don't have a problem don't post and all AV owners don't belong to the site.

If your deciding factor is finances over emotion then you need to consider true cost to own both ways and look at things like cost to repair and mod the 2004 as well as cost to insure and property taxes etc. If you choose to sell it then what price would you get for it?
If you look at getting the 2007 then look at it's insurance and tax figures in addition to possible repairs down the road such as engine repairs.
That way you will know how much money over lets say the next 5 years each option would cost you.
Either way you will not make money but one option may show you that it costs less to do over time.

Good luck with your decision.

If I were to upgrade, I would go 09 up.

That is tons of great info, that hadn't even crossed my mind at this point! My 04 is cladded and I live in Iowa. I wash the truck regularly(automatic car wash) and get the underbody sprayed, still don't climb under there as often as I should. Last time I was underneath the truck that far back was when I replaced the shocks about two years ago and I noticed some surface rust, but nothing extreme. Put it on my to do list, but never got to it. Yes, my Avy has whels and tires :D 285/60 Nitto's on 18" v-rock vr3 wheels (y). Plus newer shocks, brakes, brake lines, hid headlights and fogs, led drls and driving/signals, headers, glasspack exhaust, modified stock intake, full led interior, some painting, and a programmer. Parts I want are hard to find for my Avy, so I have been on the fence for awhile. Plus I got a great deal on it, paid 14k when I bought it with 98k miles almost three years ago. The cladding is my main concern now, I really like it but it holds all the dirt/salt/moisture against the body around the rear wheel wells :cry:. The 07 is really clean for the miles! But I found a 2010 EXT i'm going to try to get. Fully optioned, 1 owner, clean history. Still has 184k miles though. I pay 300/month for my Avy and I really don't want to get above that.

Well, my girlfiend and a buddy talked me out of trading. No reason to trade my low mile avy in on something just because it's newer. So more mods to come

Only thing I'd be concerned with is the Displacement on Demand. I actually like the '07 and newer body style, but that DoD just scares me. 

I have a diablosport intune and it's compatible with the 07' so I could shut the DoD off. But Im working with a buddy off mine now. We're looking at getting panels off an 04' non-cladded and fitting them to my avy. Gotta see if the doors will be a direct swap, if not....well we should beable to figure something out.

I know you did not ask a questio? so I'll say good luck with that.  (y)

Maybe you should start a new thread in the custom Av or modification area

MS03 2500 said:
If I were to upgrade, I would go 09 up.

This. You get the 6 speed. And if you get the LTZ, you get the luxury of AC seats too :)
Those played a major factor in when I traded my 07 Tahoe for my 09 Avy

Naw tuners and lifts are 2 things I don't know about, but I do know about what fits what on the AV.

So if you have a  02-06 and have invested some coin in and it's perfectly good shape, don't trade it for a 07 up AV or EXT that you know nothing about.

I don't mention this too much but I do have 08 EXT with a few power adders (LSA supercharger) the mileage was the the same as my 2500 without the supercharger and the power adder made it worst. It's fun when you are sitting next to a Corvette at a street light but very impactical..

I know both side 08 6.2 stock 420 horse power and 6 speed, but I love the EXT interior it's like a jet fighter.

EXT came with the 6speed since 07

I've put enough time and money into it and I'm pretty attatched to it. Keeping it. Going to keep building it though and when the 5.3 finally poops the bed I plan on swapping in something different. My next upgrade will be about $1,000 in parts for the 4l60 to help it handle future mods. No lift, don't go offroad enough to justify it plus I got a heavy foot. This thread is dead to me now lol

justinf86 said:
But I found a 2010 EXT
Thems is nice!

I agree with others. You have the one you know. I have no experience with rust (rain? what's that?) but hear it can be fixed.  Would the EXT have the same rust issue? I've heard dreadful issues with the engines in the 2007, and am happy I went with a 2006 when I did.

Stll, an EXT...

Its all personal preference, but personally I would keep the 122k. You know what you've got into it, engine maintenance and repairs. Buying something with 200k you don't really know whats been done and has not been done. Water pump, fuel pump, alternator, hub assemblies etc. may or may not be on the verge of failing, but at that mileage its just a matter of time. It may be newer, and have the different body style but you're better off staying with what you know you've got.

And it's time. Found a 2014 Silverado lt w/2lt. Blue granite metallic, 67k miles, $27k. Really nice, and quite(what my girlfriend wanted for our new baby). I'll be happy with it, was really set on gettinganother avalanche or ext, but the silverado didn't leave me wanting anything. The deal gets done tomorrow. But I will have another avalanche again someday. Cladded of course!

justinf86 said:
And it's time. Found a 2014 Silverado lt w/2lt. Blue granite metallic, 67k miles, $27k. Really nice, and quite(what my girlfriend wanted for our new baby). I'll be happy with it, was really set on gettinganother avalanche or ext, but the silverado didn't leave me wanting anything. The deal gets done tomorrow. But I will have another avalanche again someday. Cladded of course!

Congrats.  I think that is my favorite color.  Did you get a double cab or crew cab?

Thanks! It's a double cab. Really wanted a crew cab, but they didn't have one that I liked plus the next nicest crew had another 20k miles and an extra 5k on the price. The silverado has an "Elite Edition" badge on it. I can't find any info on the web about this. Anybody have any idea what's different?

Here's the new truck!
56NFmF7.jpg

8I4hW0W.jpg

I like it!

(y)

(First picture don't seem to be working for me.)

Now I see all of the pictures.

Must have been one of the Internet hiccups again.

(y)

Back