• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

02 GM radio with onstar. convert to remote at 9 pin?

vett82

Update: found this connector online after much research. This should work. Goes into the radio and is split to take 9 pin factory harness , as well as 9 pin from cassette player.

https://radiosandmore.com/prodDet.aspx?pid=LD-0014

Hey,

not sure what to do here or if there is anything that can be done, but figured I'd check here before I started sending things back from where I bought them and just giving in. Basically, I have a trove of cassettes from the 80's and 90's and wanted to play them in my 02 Z71. My avalanche has a stock CD/radio with Onstar and with no remote (cassette) at the spot where such things are usually at in that year Chevy trucks. I bought a cassette player from 1factoryradio.com and bought the connecting wire for a remote setup from Ebay. My area where the remote would go is just trimmed out as a "cubby" and has never had a factory remote in that spot.

The 9 pin plug at the back of my radio, where my new remote setup was to plug in, was not vacant as I though it might be. I have a 9 pin plug and a 24 pin plug in the back of my radio. Both are being utilized by the factory harness and I noticed when the 9 pin is unplugged, to plug in the new remote setup, the speakers won't work. I also notice that if you just unplug the 9 pin (and not even plug anything there) the speakers don't work. So, this seems to be telling me that the 9 pin at the radio (when Onstar is involved), are the speakers themselves, and maybe if Onstar was not on board, then that 9 pin spot would be vacant and all this should be working as I was told it would at 1factoryradio.com? So anyway, can someone tell me what is going on exactly and if there is a work around for all this? Needless to say, the Onstar is analog and useless.  

Attachments

• IM001629.jpg
    IM001629.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IM001630.jpg
    IM001630.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 71
  • IM001631.jpg
    IM001631.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IM001634.jpg
    IM001634.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 72
the 24 pin has power, speakers, VSS and 9 pin goes the amp and COnStar interface so disconnecting it will kill the output to the speakers. 

Not sure how the cassette was connected if you have that option, maybe someone will jump in that knows..

never had a cassette as an option. was always just trimmed out as a cubby there. I'm guessing all the radios are the same and the problem must be the wire harnesses and plugs themselves, per vehicle option, if incorporated with Onstar. All I've seen online with vehicles without Onstar find that 9 pin plug at back of radio has nothing plugged into it.

I added a tape deck to mine way back. it slides into the center console easy after the face plate is removed. it should be plug and play , maybe a 9 pin Y harness if it had onstar. I still have all the parts to even add the rear seat entertainment center and steering wheel controles

well looked at my pile
found 2 9pin cables with different pin outs. couldn't find the y cable but I guess I put it in my wife's Avalanche.

the pic with the single plug is the correct one I think :p :p

been a long time.....

Attachments

• IMG_9508.JPG
    IMG_9508.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9509.JPG
    IMG_9509.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 58
The 9 pin connector came in a couple of configurations.

One for the 2002 down, one for the 2003 up. The 02 should not use the serial data wire.

If you post the model number of the cassette you bought we can help you more the pins around.

cassette model is 16252315. My radio model is 15071234. The Ebayer I got the cable from had several, so their ad is still up. That ad is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Harness-Cable-Slave-CD-Cassette-96-02-Chevy-Tahoe-Silverado-Suburban-remote-/172607627882?hash=item283037626a:g:hdYAAOSwoydWjeXc&vxp=mtr

Randy said:
the 24 pin has power, speakers, VSS and 9 pin goes the amp and COnStar interface so disconnecting it will kill the output to the speakers. 

Not sure how the cassette was connected if you have that option, maybe someone will jump in that knows..

you said the 9 pin has a pin for an amp? Did'nt know that system had an amp. Is the amp built into the radio itself or is it separate and if its separate, where is its location? Just so I know where everything is on that AV.

Alaska_AV. said:
ya I think you have the wrong cable.   

this is the cable I got from Ebay. looks like the configuration is a little different from yours. Did the AV that you added a tape deck to have Onstar?

Attachments

• IM001638.jpg
    IM001638.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 48
Alaska_AV. said:
ya I think you have the wrong cable.  

Hey,

you mentioned a "y cable". Maybe I'm missing something here and that's my fault because, I haven't fooled with these things in years.

Am I supposed to get and install a y cable into the back of the radio, which allows the 9 pin harness from the tape deck, as well as the factory 9 pin harness?

Reason i ask is I found this old post (see #5) and it appears that that is what the guy is talking about doing?

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,9365.0.html

Check this post by wfbarto,

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,9651.msg136575.html#msg136575

It may help.

Man that was an old post and brought back memories...

Back when you did not ask what avy a member had as you knew it was a 2002.

at the time my 2002 had onstar and the so called amp. I used the Y cable. unplugged onstar from the radio,  pluged the Y cable in its place. plugged in the onstar plug to the Y, then plugged in the tape deck.
My pic of the cable coming out of the radio Is from a 2001 blazer - strait to slave with no onstar. same parts as the 2002 avalanche

Back