• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

IT WAS JUST A FUEL PUMP...

yellow04nfe

So a couple months ago on the way home from NY the truck started sputtering as I (fortunately) was getting off the highway. Thought maybe I had gotten some bad gas so I put a bottle of dry gas in, filled it back up and tried to make it home. Got another 20 miles down the road and it was done. Called my dad and we towed it home. After a couple short trips it quit again. Got out the fuel pressure gauge and sure enough, nothing. After shopping around found one online for $60. Figured I'd give it a shot. Long story short, ended up doing the lines also cause they were so rusted I couldn't get the connectors apart. OK fine. Finally got everything back together and thought all was good. After 2 days the check engine light comes on. Low voltage evap solenoid code. Checked all the plugs I'd taken apart and all was good. Been driving it like that since with the intention of taking it to (ugh) the dealer for a full diagnostic. Fast forward to today. Got a text from the wife telling me the truck shut off while she was sitting in it at lunch (running the ac cause it was hot today) and it wouldn't start back up! She left work a few hours later and made it home. The last thing I want is a phone call from her in the middle of the week while I'm on the road saying she's broke down! So my question is should I bite the bullet, drop the tank, and get a delco unit and see what happens?? Is my $60 pump/sender junk?? Last fall I had to do one in my suburban. Spent the $200 for a delco one and it's been fine. Oh, a little advice to the next person that has to do a fuel pump... Pull the driveshaft! It's only 4 bolts and makes access to the lines sooo much easier!

Back