• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stability control dash indicator, grinding when turning and braking

half-breed

Charter Member
My son is at college so I can't help him much. He is driving a 2003 EXT. There is a ramp he takes from his appartment to work (college internship) each day. It is an S curve and he is turning right and braking a little. He hears a "grinding", and his brake pedal drops lower than normal. He also momentarily gets a dash light "stability control" or something like that. He does not feel any vibration in the stteing wheel, and says it is still braking. He says it is happening on this same S curve about every other day, and no where else. It is probably one to two miles into his commute. No issues on the way home. He will see if he can get an appointment at the dealer tomorrow.

Any thoughts or ideas? Front wheel hub/bearing? Wheel speed sensor? ABS pump? Load leveling system/air shocks?

A guess is a front wheel hub.

Sounds like the ABS is kicking in. Might be just because turning too tight at too high a speed or have bald tires. For whatever reason a tire is being detected as not spinning causing the ABS to engage.

My AWD CTS does the same thing if I go too fast when turning sharp and nothing is wrong with it.

Rodney

Back