• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brake Upgrades?

TheSpartanKnight

I'm beginning to feel some shake in my wheel, so the rotors are finally going (not bad after ~115K).

However, I'm wondering if there's upgrades to be had out there.

I'm currently looking at a drilled and slotted kit, but I've also heard that with vented rotors you're just losing material and not gaining any real additional cooling.

The Sixer is a pavement princess that every now and then will flex her muscles either pulling a 3 horse trailer, hauling a craigslist purchase, or winding on a inclined/declined wind-ey dirt road.

They were good for 50K+ miles and they looked great, but I went back to OEM rotors. Probably no fault of the rotors, but my truck was getting that shake to a stop feeling and these rotors can't be turned. Though it seems like most shops don't turn brake rotors anymore...

I appreciate the reply. 50k isn't bad for the price, but I should just bite the bullet and go with OEM or at least name brand... I have at least 20 chrome tabs open right now, too many choices lol.

I appreciate the reply. 50k isn't bad for the price, but I should just bite the bullet and go with OEM or at least name brand... I have at least 20 chrome tabs open right now, too many choices lol.

What did you end up purchasing and results thus far? Need to get new brakes and upgrade for towing.

What did you end up purchasing and results thus far? Need to get new brakes and upgrade for towing.
I see you have a first gen AV, several members have upgraded to second gen brakes with positive results. May want to read through this thread for info etc.

I ended up with Brembo discs and pads. https://www.brembostoreusa.com/product/disc-brake-pad-and-rotor-kit/KT00139

They were just a tad less expensive than OEM or the part store gold lines, but I figured they had to be at least similar if not better quality, because Brembo right? Hopefully I didn't just fall for the name brand, but so far so good. It has only been 30 days and not much over 1,000 miles, but they are butter smooth and have more initial bite.

Also, agree with Vaeagleav if you're looking for a brake performance increase on the first gen, upgrade to the larger GMT900 style caliper & rotor.

I see you have a first gen AV, several members have upgraded to second gen brakes with positive results. May want to read through this thread for info etc.

Thanks, been reading that post for two days, it's a long one! Lots of great info. Looks like I'm going that route, just trying to figure the brand mix or kit. Too many options and also need to keep $ as low as possible.

Back