• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Is There a Difference Between GM and Dorman 2500 Engine Oil Cooler Lines?

Durwin

Charter Member
Good Morning,
I need to replace the engine oil cooler lines on my 2002 Avalanche 2500. This will be the fourth time. The vehicle has 231,000 miles.

My question is, are the Dorman lines better than the GM ones? If you have experience with the Dorman lines, are they an exact fit? Do the part numbers come with any fittings or O-rings that you need to do the job?

Thanks, Durwin

I have no experience with the cooler lines, but I recently bought a Dorman part and immediately sent it back after I compared it a stock GM/acdelco part.

I'll leave it at that.

Well, that wasn't the answer I was hoping for......  :E:

I had always heard that Dorman would basically look at an OE part and made one without the "weakness" or flaws that the OE had. I shouldn't have to do this for a 4th time. It's only a couple of oil cooler lines.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Durwin

I don't know if there is difference.  I got OE lines from Rock Auto at a decent price.  4 sets at 231,000 seems like there might be another issue.  good luck

Yeah you have to drive them and get it to normal operating temp or you are going to have issues.

WHat happens to them that you need to replace?

Rust away?
Leak at fitting ends?

I'm on my second set in 246,000 miles AC Delco's..

Dorman's are suppose to as good or better that stock but can't testify to their oil cooler lines for the 2500..

Well I won't harp on this, but I question the quality of Dorman. After my recent purchase of a Dorman window regulator I expected them to copy the factory, they did not. It fit but it was made of light weight aluminum,  all the supports were not there and the attaching hardware was under sized. It was too weak to push up the window. I surely would not trust them to make a decent oil line that's under pressure..

OK I'm off my soapbox, but it was a cheap POS part and I sent it back

Hello Again,
The truck used to be a daily driver, but now it's just weekends, Costco, or going out into the mountains, that sort of thing. Costco is about an hour away, so the truck does have time to warm up. There is no stop and go city driving around here.

The lines tend to leave from the ends.

Durwin

PS. I looked underneath the truck yesterday. The radiator leaks too. Oh well, it's 15 years old. I need to start researching those too. It's been a great truck and I look at these things as normal wear and tear.

Back