Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
06/27/17 01:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: front diff drop  (Read 404 times)
chewie6978

Awards
« on: 06/12/17 11:02 am »

hi all. I recently lifted my truck 4" in the front and 3" in the rear. my only problem now is that the company I purchased the kit from said that spacers for a front diff drop were not needed with that kit. after installing it i say bs to that as my front axles going into the diff are at a big angle putting more wear on my axle boots than I would like. I have a 2002 avy z71 4x4 cladded. could anyone point me in the right direction on where to get a 4" diff spacer kit for my problem? thanks
« Last Edit: 06/13/17 04:17 am by chewie6978 » Logged
Randy
Charter Member

I charge more than a buck$

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/17 02:42 pm »

You don't drop the transfer case with a lift it's connected to the transmission, you drop the front diff so your front axles angles are more inline. Most lift kits come with drop bracket that lowers the front diff that does this. Aftermarket transfer cases can be clocked to reduce the front drive-line angle but not the rear.

Are you talking about dropping the front differential?

« Last Edit: 06/12/17 02:47 pm by Randy » Logged

02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP
chewie6978

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 06/12/17 05:09 pm »

yes that is what im talking about. im sorry for the mix up as i was in a hurry to type the post and got my crap mixed up. do they make a diff drop kit?
Randy
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 06/13/17 01:26 pm »

I don't if you can buy just the drop brackets they are usually part of the kit (see picture) and may not work with the kit you have now. You would have to call them and see..

http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-279n2.html

02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

chewie6978

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 06/14/17 04:17 am »

I went to the manufactures website and don't even see a drop kit available. thanks for your help but I might just have to think about making my own. thanks again
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 06/14/17 04:20 am »

wHo did you buy from?
What brand?

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
chewie6978

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 06/14/17 04:24 am »

supreme suspensions is the kit I purchased. they called it a 3" front and 3" rear lift kit. I gained 4" in the front and 3" in the rear. I love the kit and it works perfectly other than I don't like the angle the axle boots are on. seems like it would cause premature wear and failure.
Randy
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 06/14/17 10:49 am »

Their kits raise the front using new torsion keys maxing out the  CV axle angle. You are right to be concerned about CV axles wearing out but the only way to reduce it is to drop the diff.

I would try to call some of the lift manufactures and talk to the tech support. Part of the problem is other parts that go along with the drop brackets you may need and most kits are going to lift more that 4" so you will have to raise the rear another 1"-2" so you might just have to buy a complete lift kit.

Good luck

« Last Edit: 06/14/17 11:12 am by Randy » Logged

More to follow...

chewie6978

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 06/15/17 01:24 pm »

thanks for the reply. im just going to machine and make my own brackets/spacers. easier for me to do than to buy another lift kit and install it.
Randy
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 06/15/17 05:08 pm »

Not that I'm skeptical of your fabrication skills but the brackets have to support the lower control arms and other brackets are needed to lower the upper control arms to keep the geometry correct . You also need new steering knuckles that re-locate the torsion bar higher or fab up some more brackets to drop the rear torsion bar support. Then you need to brace the diff drop from moving back and forth with track bars just to name a few..

Might not be as easy as you think, but whatever you come up with good luck..

More to follow...

ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 06/16/17 04:17 am »

Might I suggest returning this lift kit and getting another that does drop the diff?

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: