• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

front diff drop

chewie6978

hi all. I recently lifted my truck 4" in the front and 3" in the rear. my only problem now is that the company I purchased the kit from said that spacers for a front diff drop were not needed with that kit. after installing it i say bs to that as my front axles going into the diff are at a big angle putting more wear on my axle boots than I would like. I have a 2002 avy z71 4x4 cladded. could anyone point me in the right direction on where to get a 4" diff spacer kit for my problem? thanks

You don't drop the transfer case with a lift it's connected to the transmission, you drop the front diff so your front axles angles are more inline. Most lift kits come with drop bracket that lowers the front diff that does this. Aftermarket transfer cases can be clocked to reduce the front drive-line angle but not the rear.

Are you talking about dropping the front differential?

yes that is what im talking about. im sorry for the mix up as i was in a hurry to type the post and got my crap mixed up. do they make a diff drop kit?

I don't if you can buy just the drop brackets they are usually part of the kit (see picture) and may not work with the kit you have now. You would have to call them and see..

http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-279n2.html

Attachments

• 00-06_gm_tahoe_mini.jpg
    00-06_gm_tahoe_mini.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 59
I went to the manufactures website and don't even see a drop kit available. thanks for your help but I might just have to think about making my own. thanks again

wHo did you buy from?
What brand?

supreme suspensions is the kit I purchased. they called it a 3" front and 3" rear lift kit. I gained 4" in the front and 3" in the rear. I love the kit and it works perfectly other than I don't like the angle the axle boots are on. seems like it would cause premature wear and failure.

Their kits raise the front using new torsion keys maxing out the  CV axle angle. You are right to be concerned about CV axles wearing out but the only way to reduce it is to drop the diff.

I would try to call some of the lift manufactures and talk to the tech support. Part of the problem is other parts that go along with the drop brackets you may need and most kits are going to lift more that 4" so you will have to raise the rear another 1"-2" so you might just have to buy a complete lift kit.

Good luck

thanks for the reply. im just going to machine and make my own brackets/spacers. easier for me to do than to buy another lift kit and install it.

Not that I'm skeptical of your fabrication skills but the brackets have to support the lower control arms and other brackets are needed to lower the upper control arms to keep the geometry correct . You also need new steering knuckles that re-locate the torsion bar higher or fab up some more brackets to drop the rear torsion bar support. Then you need to brace the diff drop from moving back and forth with track bars just to name a few..

Might not be as easy as you think, but whatever you come up with good luck..

Might I suggest returning this lift kit and getting another that does drop the diff?

I got a 2" drop set for the front axle off eBay, Had to remove a couple fins from the axle diff but it's an easy install. Anything more than that and you'll need to get a complete kit due to major interference with the cross brace under the input shaft of the front axle. I only say this since I installed a 6" this weekend and had to remove 3" of the drivers side brace mount.

Back