• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Some problems with my 2007, help out

UrbanElite

Hello everyone, I bought a 2007 Chevy avalanche fully loaded ltz 5.3l for a very good deal. This isn't my first Avalanche as I had a 09 LTZ a few years ago I shouldn't have gotten rid of, so I was in need of something bigger to pull my small cargo trailer and such and this came up couldn't resis even with the little issues price was right. So let's get down to it.

It says service park assist. If I start the truck it doesn't say it and I can use the switch on the lower dash to turn it on and off. But as soon as I put it into reverse it says "service park assist" I have read this could be an unallinged sensor or damage sensor. I seen they are $45 for 4 maybe just replace them?

Saying service suspension system. This one comes and goes, lots say to check for air leaks, wires around the shocks and such. Truck seems to right nice,

My key remotes. To unlock the doors I have to use the key in the door and press unlock, but once I do that I can use the remote to lock and unlock the doors. So if I shut off the truck get out of it, I can lock it but when I come back out of the store the remote doesn't work again?! I ordered 2 new remotes for the price as these are pretty well used and beat up, even tried both remotes with new battery's.

Any info on this stuff would be great! Thanks!

Regarding the service suspension system message, with the truck running, lower the tailgate and either sit on the end of the gate or place something heavy there.

Do you hear the air pump kick on and begin to pump up the air shocks.

If I sit on the tailgate in this manner, it is enough for the air pump to kick on.

Several bags of mulch would do the trick, as well, if placed on the end of the tailgate.

Doesn't take much.

If you can't get the air pump to start, then it probably has burned out.

Both of my air shocks and the air pump were totally shot when I bought my truck used.

I had the same message.

I replaced all of the shocks and the air pump with products from Arnott some 80K miles ago.

Everything has worked correctly ever since.

Good to know I'll look into that for sure!

Maybe something I need to look into as it has 200,000km on the truck could be. Wouldn't you notice it in the ride though? Thanks!

My EXT rode just fine with the blown out air shocks.

The shock absorber part of the air shocks worked just fine.

However, with the blown out air bladders on the shocks, the rear of the truck sat over an inch lower than the factory intended height and the rear end would sag while under load.

I measured the height at the end of the trailer hitch and the truck's rear height rose just over a full inch once the new air shocks were installed along with the new air pump.

I feel that with the air bladders blown out, the air compressor just ran and ran until it finally burned out.

I suspect previous owners of the truck just let things bump along after the air shocks blew out after finding out how much it was going to cost to replace everything.

Even with Arnott products, this is not a cheap undertaking.

OEM parts are really expensive.

So they probably just bailed on the truck instead of investing in proper repairs.

Worked out great for me.

(y)

Same here, my 2007 had blown air shocks, leaky front shock, and compressor not working and I didn't even have the error code on the dash. Go figure.

If you want to replace the parking sensors, you could. OR, try unplugging them, clean/dielectric grease the connectors, and see if that helps first. If you can't get the error to go away, the dealer can scan the system and tell you what is at fault.

Yeah that is weird you wouldn't be really able to tell that the shocks are blown. How does a person figure out that a shock is blown or not?

I'm going to look on sites and fleabay at new fronts, rears and compressors, seee how much it's going to take for me to replace the air ride system.

What are my other options on shocks?

If the shocks will pump up, try spraying each air bladder down with a spray bottle filled with soapy water.

If there is a leak, you should see bubbles form.

Check the air lines while you are at it.

One option is the Arnott Industries products I have been mentioning.

Others prefer OEM products.

Whatever floats your boat.

Im going to crawl under there on days off and check it all out. I might just buy a set of new rear air shocks and compressor so i dont have to worry about it again for a long time!

Anyone have a link to how to add in those resistors?

Im leaning towards suncore options for the pricing, speciality in CAD.

What is the difference with these options I found anyone knows?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/381665939068?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382116066354?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or

Has anyone went to a standard none air ride shock kit like this?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2007-12-Chevy-Avalanche-Autoride-Conversion-Struts-Shocks-w-Bypass-/380326277026?fits=Year%3A2007%7CModel%3AAvalanche&hash=item588d366fa2:g:JGIAAOSwpDdVAFTh

Should a person spend little extra and go to air again or away from it? Thanks

You say you do not want to do this again for a long time.

Arnott Industries 

Haha I agree man if this was my primary driver i would, but it's an 07 with just over 200,000km and using it to just pull and haul things, so out of those options what you guys think?

X2 on the Arnotts, if the budget allows.

When my Arnotts were installed on my '04 EXT, the supplied computer bypass module (basically a resistor to fool the computer into thinking an OEM shock is installed) was connected to the wires that formally were installed to the top of the OEM shocks.

You should have a connector that plugs into the top of your current shocks if your truck has the AutoRide option.

Once the modules replaced that connector on the end of that wire, the module was securely attached underneath the truck.

They have been there for 80K miles without a hiccup.

Computer has been happy and the Arnott products are still working as expected.

(y)

Ok good to know. Like I said this is just a secondary truck for me I have a new VW Wagon, so I don't want to throw a ton of money at it, just though I miles well maybe spend the money and replace the air ride and there it's a done deal prettty much for a long time time to come. That's why I like the suncore option can redo the whole air ride with brand new compressor, dryer all that, plus front and rear shocks for around $600

It looks like it's easy to do, just use your standard resistor that comes with the kit and wire splice into the wire that would plug into your shock like you mentioned. I'm glad to hear yours have been working well like that for some time now.

The AC Delco replacement shocks aren't too expensive. I found mine for $150 each in the rear, open box items on Amazon. Check there if you want oem.

Arnott or OEM will get you back to an original ride function.

I second What blu-fuz said.  Watch Amazon, I got AC Delco from a dealer in North Carolina that was looking to move them.  $170.00 ea.  My originals ea had a large hole in them. Replace last Aug truck had 108000 miles on originals.

Ok I'll take a look around for those to see what I can find.

I crawled under the truck today doing some Add-ons like led lighting and such. All the shocks look like they are extended out, no holes I can see, all the airlines connected and electrical connected how it should be. But one rear shock looks like it has a broken connector off the shock there is one connector pin coming out of it while I believe there should be too, so that could be why it is throwing a code.

I have been doing a lot of research on the Suncores replacements, lots of great things said about them. For the price, they would work great too.

Also with the park assist. I crawled under the truck and undid all the connectors cleaned them, cleaned the sensors, all of the sensors are lined up with the 2 little lines on the sensor. But I may have found my problem, one of my sensors has a nick it in like a decent deep nick is that enough to throw the code for service park assist?

As far as the park assist goes, it does not take much to damage them to the point of stopping working.  I had to replace 2 of mine in the last 2 years roughly and neither of them had ANY damage on them at all.  I went with a replacement sensor from the dealer ship here in Canada and it was $249 EACH and more expensive on RockAuto.  There are 2 different kinds, the cheaper ones that you possibly have and the A LOT less ones that my AVY has.  Good luck with your search.  One quick thing to mention as well, there is nothing in the trucks receiver hitch is there?  I ask because it will pick up if something is in the hitch and sense it as being an object in the way.  Mine does this now and then but especially if my hitch gets hot from the sun.

I ordered 4 new ones from Amazon that are OEM genuine, So if they don't work they will be returned. I hope they just work.

Still trying to figure out the door locks with the remote system... To unlock the doors I have to use the key in the door and press unlock, but once I do that I can use the remote to lock and unlock the doors. So if I shut off the truck get out of it, I can lock it but when I come back out of the store the remote doesn't work again?!

I ordered 2 new remotes reprogrammed them to the truck and they work great, but the same problem...

UrbanElite said:
I ordered 4 new ones from Amazon that are OEM genuine, So if they don't work they will be returned. I hope they just work.

I can't imagine they would not work.

I am glad to see you fixing the truck properly.

Too many cobbled up hack jobs out there already.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Best of luck solving all of your issues.

(y)

UrbanElite said:
Also with the park assist. I crawled under the truck and undid all the connectors cleaned them, cleaned the sensors, all of the sensors are lined up with the 2 little lines on the sensor. But I may have found my problem, one of my sensors has a nick it in like a decent deep nick is that enough to throw the code for service park assist?

I'm no expert, but these sensors emit an ultrasonic frequency, wait for that to bounce off of an object and return to the sensor, and calculate the distance based on the emit - return timing. Think of how sonar on a submarine works.
If there is a chip on the face of the sensor, it may not emit or receive the frequency properly, which would throw an error.

Regarding the price of these, you might be able to find a good deal on some from a junk yard. Just be sure they come off the same color vehicle, as they are painted to match the vehicle. Should be able to search from Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon or Escalade. Don't pick from a Silverado/Sierra though, as they are black and silver to match their metal bumpers, not painted like ours.

Update:

So I Just decided to spend the $125 and get the truck scanned at the dealership to really know what's going on with it.

Park Sensor: Turned out to be a burnt out sensor on the right side, not the one with the chip. So I have sensors on the way to replace it.

Service Suspension: It's throwing the code because the plug broke from a rock or something where it connects to the shock, which I already knew. But the good thing is I found out as soon as that code is thrown the air compressor is turned off. I ordered today a set of Suncore replacements rears and compressor assembly, I am just going to replace it all.

The door lock problem. They think it's the receiver in the drive side rear back panel that is faulty, not communicating with the main module of the truck. So I ordered one in for $105, the tech said they aren't bad to replace at all, so hopefully, that does fix the problem.

Hopefully once all my parts come these are the final fixes to make all the codes go away and ride amazing. Ill keep you guys updated

If you are not using the saddle bags you should look at moving the air compressor to one of the saddle bags. There is room for it in the area over the wheel well. This will keep it out of the elements and keep it shiny fresh for a long time.  Others have done this and there is a thread somewhere about how to do it.

Rodney

Yeah, I did the compressor mod here:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=142537.msg2061244#msg2061244

So I looked over the wiring and all looks good, connectors sealed good and tight. Wiring has a good ground and 5 volts on all the plugs with my multi meter. The dealership told me it was the right out side sensor, I replaced it with a new one still got the message, replaced them one by one and still got them message. Replaced them all and still got the message. So I'll be sending these sensors back to 1 A Auto, I don't really wanna buy a GM one as they are over $200! But wouldn't mind if this system worked or atleast got the service light to go Way!

Ok I'll take a look at it! Not a bad idea since my new rear shocks and compressor should be in pretty soon this week!

Back