• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

"Whoop" "Whoop" noise when turning right or when suspension is compressed.

wrd1972

2007 LTZ 173K miles.

I am hearing a strange whoop whoop noise coming from the truck under certain conditions. The noise is not very loud but loud enough to be noticed. It sounds like its mainly coming from the front left but it could be anywhere.

These are the conditions I am hearing it from:
- Turning to the right...even slight right. Never seems to do it turning left.
- When hitting a nice size dip in the road. More noticeable if truck is really loaded down and heavy.
- From a stopped position. Slowly rolling back about 6' and  slamming on the brakes. You get a whoop whoop.

The noise does not really sound metallic IMO. But it is repeatable all of the time. I also think I can feel it in the steering wheel when the noise occurs. Also it does it either braking or not breaking.

A year ago, I replaced the replaced lower ball joints but not the arm (bushings), upper control arms and rear shocks. Last week, the motor mounts and tranny mount were replaced for the typical busted mount symptoms. Tires are Michelin and were installed about 2 years ago and have plenty of tread left.

Thanks guys.
Bill

tire noise or bearing noise or what?

take to front end shop and let them look around.

Turns out it is the front left strut being shot.

Seems like Rock auto etc and the local parts houses only have aftermarkt coil over assemblies but they are not for the electric suspension. It appears that there is no aftermarket complete assembly for electric suspension so now I am down to purchasing a Delco strut and re-using the existing spring etc.

Anyone know the corrector Delco p/n for the front LTZ struts with electric suspension?

thanks

Back