• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tell me something good

rebel23

SM 2021
Hey all, 
      So I have had my truck for almost 3 weeks now and I joined this site pretty much as soon as I discovered it along with several Facebook groups.  I love my truck, I love driving it, I love learning more and more about it from the many posts I have read.....but the more I follow this page and Facebook, I'm wondering if it was a mistake to buy my truck because of the issues people have said they have. I get it that the majority of them are just looking for help on an issue, I will be doing the same when I need it.  But as a new Avalanche owner, its kinda disheartening.....So I would love to hear some of the good things about having this truck, why you love it.  So please tell me something good....

Thanks

Ralph

Keep in mind that most people join the forum because they have an issue.  So there are a lot of queries about those.  Not as many people join just to say how awesome their truck is.  Every vehicle has its challenges, but most of the Avalanche issues are minor and fixable by a good handyman. 

With all that being said, there are countless threads on here hundreds of pages long with people cheering about the great things they did with their Avalanche "today".

My truck is 9 years old, been supercharged for most of that, and will outperform a new 6.2L Sierra.  And it rides nicer and will easily fit on the lift.  Don't fret - you made the right choice.  Ask any dealer - Avalanches that come on the lot disappear shortly after arriving.  They are popular for a reason.

JohnnieMo is correct, on a forum it's more organized so you can find answers to issues.

Facebook is good for family and friends not so much for information. The few groups I am in every time someone joins the first post is "Here is a picture" and that's the nature of facebook.

Welcome to the site and AV ownership rebel23!

As mentioned above you have to look at the total picture of AV ownership and realize first not every AV owner belongs to the site, then many who are members are rather silent since most don't post when they use their AV and have a great time with nothing bad happens. If all you do is read the Problems section that is where they are most actively posting because members are trying to solve issues and that section is broken into so many subsections. We do have to accept that the newest AV now is 4yrs. old and not made anymore so all of our AVs are aging.
If you want to get some enthusiasm back into AV ownership take a look at the sections where owners talk about making the 200,000 mile club and even higher mileage as well as threads where owners talk about multiple AV ownership (some own three or more). Then there is the threads where polls are asked with questions like "If you could buy another AV would you do so?" Most answer in the positive.....

Then take a look in the section about AV future and vision and you will see a thread pop up every few months with somebody's optimism about an AV return that is usually accompanied by an old SEMA customized AV photo or publicity photos of the 2017 High Desert Package Silverado listing it as the next generation AV.....That proves there are still members with a positive attitude about AV ownership and they can't accept it's passing.

We still have AV owners who own a 2002 AV and looking at that I think it shows some longevity is possible with proper maintenance and care but I bet if you looked at any vehicle owner's board you would find issues with any 15 year old vehicle driven every day. Things will need attention, the question could be will it be easy to find parts? Universal things like window motors probably OK but AV specific things could become rare.

My first Avalanche was a 2003 Z66 bought brand new, kept for 10 years (100k) and traded it on a new 2013 Black Diamond LS (26500 on it now).  Both great vehicles.  Thourghly enjoyed both and the 2013 has lots of features the 2003 did not have.  If I wear my 2013 out would like another one.  They are comfortable, ride well and people do like the looks of them and are suprised about their vesatility (midgate and removal window).  Any questions about yours look on the forums, lots of info their.

Agree with the prior posts.  I post all sorts of fun as well as horror stories.  The thing to bear in mind is that many of us with horror stories bought somebody else's problem.  In my case, I recently learned that something happened during a prior ownership that went unreported on Carfax and missed by the Chevy dealer during a pre-purchase inspection.  Still love the AV, just wish I bought a different one.

My Avy puts a smile on face everytime I hop in... I love driving it... I love modding it (complete driveline AmsOil change coming up next)!  (y)

The newest avalanche is now 4 years old so that must be considered. Nothing is made to last forever, so the key is replacing any failing parts with improved ones. After driving our traverse ltz on a 1600 mile beach trip (not too bad) and driving a rental silverado & tahoe over the last month, I will gladly take the avalanche for the rest of my days. There is absolutely nothing like it, and with cost cutting and mpg so involved in todays designs, durability will suffer. I have a 64g usb drive kicking all my tunes too, so bt streaming can suck it...

Yeah, my 2006 Avalanche is horrid. In the past 11 years, it has been to the dealer exactly, well, never. I did have to get a rebuilt tranny at 180K miles.

Since my son co-opted my Malibu to drive to school this week, I've been driving the AV to work again. Mileage sucks compared to my Malibu Hybrid but the power....

..oh the power.

Back