• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear brake pads (inner or outer)

avalanchek-w

I have a set of rear brake pads and am not able to tell if they are inner or outer pads, they look identical. If they are the same I am guessing there would be no issue which side they go on   

Doesn't matter. 
If only 2 of them have the wear sensor, then just make sure that one sensor goes on either side of the vehicle (not both on the same side).

Either or. I believe the most pads on the aves have sensors on all 4 pads. if only 2 have sensors then make sure 1 sensor per side if stated before. Be sure to make sure everything is nice and tight. Whenever I do any brake jobs I always use lock tight. I had a vehicle in the shop where the caliper bracket bolt had vibrated out after the customer had done the job themselves. When I was calling the dealer to get a replacement bolt he told me that it happens all the time where they vibrate out like that. Ever since hearing that story I apply lock tite. After, be sure to torque tires back down. lugs on most 1500's are 140ft lbs. If you're unsure about something don't hesitate to ask. A brake job is far from difficult, but its not something you want to do wrong and put yourself, and everyone on the road with in danger.

Those wear pads or `squealers`as I call them are supposed to go inbound against the caliper pistons themselves.  I would also suggest picking up some brake caliper lube and pull all the pins out , clean them and re lube them.  When I re did my rear pads and rotors a year ago  I used the lube that came with the brakes.  Needless I had to drill out one of the caliper pins and got super lucky that it went straight through the pin, was able yo pull it out with needle nosed vise grips.

Back