• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Erratic ignition switch

JASKIN

SM 2017
On my 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4 which I purchased a few months ago the key at times has a hard time turning the ignition switch on to start and at times when I go to shut down the key will turn far enough to shut the motor but the battery symbol is still lit on the dash and I can not remove the key--I restart a couple of times and finally it shuts down and I can remove the key. At times it works flawlessly. ??? Would a new ignition switch be in order or is there something inside the steering column that could be causing the problem.  :help:

Thought I'd jump in here before Rodney trys to sell you a cluster.  yes change the ignition switch, failry simple, plenty of threads on the subject!  Good Luck

Didit

Didit said:
Thought I'd jump in here before Rodney trys to sell you a cluster. 

Didit

Too funny. LOL Just replace the key cylinder.

Didit said:
Thought I'd jump in here before Rodney trys to sell you a cluster.  yes change the ignition switch, failry simple, plenty of threads on the subject!  Good Luck

Didit
:beating:

Yea should be key cylinder... If still does it after changing cylinder then you need to look at the ignition switch/relay its self.

Rodney

Thanks for the replies. I am going to look on Amazon and see what is available. I want to be able to use my old keys. Will have to see what all is involved. May be a bit as have some surgeries come up and will be laid up a bit.

Thanks again.

JASKIN said:
Thanks for the replies. I am going to look on Amazon and see what is available. I want to be able to use my old keys. Will have to see what all is involved. May be a bit as have some surgeries come up and will be laid up a bit.

Thanks again.
If you buy the lock cylinder from a locksmith they can rekey it to your key. If you buy elsewhere expect to have to change keys. Most locksmiths I know won't rekey a lock you got somewhere else without charging but will do for free if you get from them. If you get elsewhere and have them rekey it then it will likely cost more than if you would have just bought it from them.

For these reasons I always buy my locksets from local locksmiths when I care about what key they have... (Doors, Trunks, Saddle bag locks, tailgate locks etc.)

Rodney

Back