• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Changing 02 sensors too much???

kc4pe

Hey guys...I love my 2013 LTZ, it's got every option known...just updated the mapping service ..super upgrade....

However.. I get the engine check light to often, in the 7m months for 2017 its been on 5 times..always the same 105....
The third time I checked it with my reader and then went to the local Chevy dealer...he changed it..then told me that he had GM via the internet shake hands with my AV and they looked for almost an hour .staring the car, doing this, that running the AC ..and pronounced it was in very good condition, just about factory fresh ...and then told the local NOT to charge me for the sensor, but they wanted to see it...
OK get you can not beat that, but since the engine light has come on twice and I just re set it and go on my way...
But any idea's as to WHY..changed gas caps..only use name brand gasoline..car works great.. just did a 2000 mile trip, got over 21 miles per gal...

Now...twice, I have been stopped in a parking lot and both times an individual wanted to buy the AV..the last time the fellow was in military dress, a Colonel, and he just kept running up the offer..got to $42,000 and I just had to tell him ..NO..NO..NO...
The AV has every option, retractable running board, front TV camera's...and on, not a mark in or out...gets clay three times a year..its a show piece
Should I sell...Because ..Is it true that GB is think about 2020. and a new AV'y....
Thanks
Am I crazy...???
Bill

WHat is actual code you get?

Code is ....P105D  Generic 02 sensor Delayed, Response Lean to Rich
Then the next time..
The same P105D , etc ...but:
Bank 2 Sensor 2

No such code as P105D - must be specific to your reader.
What reader do you have?

There is a code P0105 but is for MAP sensor.

Maybe your issue is bad reader?

Check these sites for code definitions.
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0105
http://www.autocodes.com/p0105_chevrolet.html
http://www.innova.com/en-US/Dtc?r=0.46649604598127514
https://www.engine-codes.com/
http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/

Well the P1XXX codes are manufacturers specific codes.

OK....here it is right off the dealers invoice...

A C/S Engine light is ON, Please advise.
160 CM
1 12583804 (S) Sensor
69310 Checked VEH Codes
Code P015B set in ECM.
Checked code flow chart

Checked fuel and Induction
Checked for vacuum leaks
Preformed fuel injector Flow Test

Opened Tech assistant case
8-2340600928

Checked 02 sensor ..connector ..OK
Checked o2 sensor harness ..OK
Advised to replace 02 sensor
Replaced BANK 1 SENSOR 1
1 oxygen sensor
Cleared Codes
Checked 02 data ...OK

I do not know it it was BS but the service manager told me that due to the number of sensors That has been replaced, that this test was done by GM's computer via the internet..??
He also. said in a private conversation with the tech at the GM testing center, that the sensors work on a + and - in the lean and rich tolerance. I the computer see's something out of the dialed in limits then the engine light will appear...but in essence, nothing is wrong.
He said in cases the system had to be reprogrammed and a wider + & - tolerance was programmed.

He said in cases where the customer said fix it or take it back, a new computer was installed with a better tolerance.
Said he could not do it , but there are private shops that can do miracles to the computers, so if it came to  that...?? I asked cost he said in the $500.00 range and if you wanted a new computer, it would be pricey ..
My issue is, Hey I don't ,mind resetting the computer when necessary, but what if I was no longer in charge, ..some guy would try and deduct 5K off the selling price. see where I going??
Comments...

First off I understand the feeling of a vehicle becoming unreliable and not knowing if you will have a problem crop up on a daily basis, that is usually when in the past I would sell a vehicle and cut my losses.
I also learned over time not to sink lots of money into a vehicle that is just going to depreciate over time yet balancing the cost against buying a new vehicle.
Spending $500 to fix an otherwise perfect vehicle sure beats the thousands spent to purchase a new one.
Maybe your dealership has reached the end of their technical expertise and an independent shop could fix your problem?
As far as selling your AV you will always have wheelers and dealers trying to knock down your price and it's a supply and demand kind of thing. That is where websites like kbb.com and edmunds.com can get you to look at your vehicle in a less emotional standpoint. We all think our AVs are worth a lot but in reality it is only worth what another person is willing to pay.
I assume by your first post on this thread you were meaning GM and 2020 as a year for possibly coming out with a new generation AV?
Not sure where you heard that but it probably was from an optimistic (b.s.) salesman. The closest GM has come is the 2017 High Desert optioned Silverado Pickup and there has been talk on the boards about even the Suburban on the chopping block back when gas prices were high. Maybe now that gas is cheaper that rumor will be put to rest and as long as there is a Suburban there is always a slight chance of an AV comeback. Yet I would not hinge my vehicle purchasing future on another AV.
I hope you find a good fix for your problem.

I wonder if they modified the exhaust.          ???

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,147229.0.html

VEry interesting...

Ever try another dealership?

Yes two different dealerships....

But now I carry a full set of sensors, and when One goes out , I'll reset the computer...but if if happens again in a short time frame I'll take it to my local Hot Rod shop and they change it in 5 minutes...

Yes the muffler was changed...shortly after I got it...but I can't remember what I bought ... But it was advertised as a direct fit for the 2013 Avalanche... Now that is a good point....
It's got a nice deep throaty sound, but m not obnoxious.
Give me a few names of mufflers that you guys have used and have had no problems.
BUT-BUT, I bit my lip and confessed to the local Chevy service shop that the muffler has been changed. So the time before the last senor change I asked...Muffler???..They said NO would not be a factor..
I'd love to put dual exhaust on it, but afraid they say VOID Warranty, it something serious happened...

Has anybody had an experience of someone hacking the code and giving this code more Le-way...they told me it reads lean to rich ratio and is possibility too tight..so can it be loosened...??
There is a shop in NC that they says can tune this engine like no other..so he would be an ideal candidate...but its a 5 hours trip from me in GA
And I had a Chevy man tell me to get a new computer and have this shop in NC set it up...???

Hey guys thanks for all the input...and my info on maybe a new Avalanche came from a friend that works in GM R &D styling..I use to make carpet for GM, and became friends with all the GM stylists in Detroit when the center was there...
Thanks,

-Bill

kc4pe said:
Has anybody had an experience of someone hacking the code and giving this code more Le-way...they told me it reads lean to rich ratio and is possibility too tight..so can it be loosened...??
There is a shop in NC that they says can tune this engine like no other..so he would be an ideal candidate...but its a 5 hours trip from me in GA
And I had a Chevy man tell me to get a new computer and have this shop in NC set it up...???

Several ways to skin this cat in the code.  Those codes can be disabled.

Better way is to tweak MAF calibration so that it's input to the computer results in the computer getting the vehicle into the air-fuel ratio sweet spot.

I would inspect the exhaust manifolds and look over the exhaust pipe for leaks. Could be a broken exhaust bolt as well or just a bad gasket.

Air injecting into the system can cause issues with the O2 sensors reading out of range. So yes doing exhaust work CAN cause issues here if air is let into the system prior to the cats.

Back