• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Z55 with Z71 rear springs??

JLM09LTZ

So, my 09 LTZ has the Z55 package... The compressor works extra hard when I have my landscape trailer hooked up loaded with a yard of mulch. I have already had to replace the compressor once. I was comparing the Moog springs #81069 and #81071. I believe the 89071 was what came with the ZW7 and Z55 package. There was also an option for Moog #89069, but no other spring options. My guess is that the Z55 and ZW7 uses the same rear spring due to them both being load leveling, so the 89069 by default has to be the spring for the Z71. My theory is since the ZW7 and Z55 packages have softer spring rates, the Z71 springs would provide an extra bit of support to alleviate some of the strain on the air bags, but won't be overly stiff when unloaded. My question is, has anyone swapped out their OEM springs for the Z71 springs, if so can you validate or disclaim my theory? Would there be any residual lift as a result? I've read that the Z71 is anywhere from 1" to 1.5" higher than a standard LS/LT/LTZ. Any truth to this? I rarely ever see any GMT900 Z71 Tahoe's/Burban's/Lanche's in my area so I have not been able to visually compare. 

I have a 2014 LTZ Burb that I'm looking at doing the same thing with...would like to know the specific part number for the Z71 Springs as I'm having trouble finding them.  Can anyone help out a bit?  I'm looking at converting the autoride to Bilstein 5100's with New rear springs.  Thanks.

No replies? I also want to rip out the compressor (blown) and shocks and go to a spring/shock combo that'll give me a couple of inches. Anyone with knowledge want to help a few brutha's out?

Smitty2 you may want to read some other threads where owners have removed the auto leveling suspension on an LTZ, to get all the issues and info.
From what I remember reading some replaced with aftermarket compressor/leveling suspension set-up and it ended up costing close to stock with some electronic problems with alarms going off sometimes on the dash. Others did replace with non leveling system like on a Z71 or other and had the same messages displayed on dash unless the bought something to fool the sensors.
Just my memory and .02 it seemed the happiest owners were ones who just bit the bullet and replaced the stock LTZ auto leveling system with GM original parts. If done completely and competently it worked the best and lasted the longest with less problems over time.
Good luck with your fix.

Back