Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/25/17 07:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for recommendations - time for new suspension  (Read 420 times)
o7avy

Awards
« on: 06/30/17 08:48 am »

So I just crossed the 230K mile mark.  Its time to renew my suspension and Im looking for suggestions.  Aside from replacing the front struts (shocks & springs), the rear shocks, and the sway bar links, everything is still original. Never even had an alignment since there was no problem with the tires wearing uneven.

I dont want to lift the truck, but I would like to make the suspension as good as new or better.  Its gotten pretty sloppy after all those miles. I dont do a lot of off-roading but I do tow boats and light utility trailers frequently.

2007 - LT 4wd

'07 Black LT3 4wd w/Charcoal leather & wood grain int. , Sunroof, chrome grill, Ambers, all on high
Vaeagleav
CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member

The Avalanche just keeps getting better!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 06/30/17 08:59 am »

Just my .02 but I have always liked the ride quality of the Z71 suspension setup. It uses Bilstein shocks. I believe in the suspension section you can read about other's suspension replacements and many have used the Bilstein 5100 shocks to recreate the ride of a Z71.

2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.
o7avy

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 06/30/17 09:21 am »

can you provide a link to the suspension section???

I like the Z71 setup too, I just dont know what all the differences are in the setup.  I dont have the air ride suspension

'07 Black LT3 4wd w/Charcoal leather & wood grain int. , Sunroof, chrome grill, Ambers, all on high
Vaeagleav
CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member

The Avalanche just keeps getting better!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 06/30/17 10:50 am »

You can read lots of stuff in this section :

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/board,109.0.html

I know from your description the LT1 to LT3 had stock suspension parts similar to the Suburban we are based on. If a suspension upgrade was installed on your specific AV it should be in the RPO codes found on your glove box door interior. As in my 2008 AV is an LT3 with Z71 package. From what I have read and observed the Z71 package has upgraded shock and springs with a stiffer rate, the sway bars may be different too... It should give you a sportier handling slightly stiffer ride without being harsh.
The first generation AVs had a Z66 suspension package designed for on road towing/ leveling use, not sure if it was continued on second generation AVs though. What you may be referring to the air ride suspension may be the auto leveling shocks on the LTZ models only and they work great but many complain of expense when they need to be replaced.

2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.
ca2kjet

something secret steers us

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 07/01/17 04:43 am »

Woh!! I'm not even at 200k and I've replaced my Z71 shocks TWICE. I just happened to install the second set Thursday and included the whole strut assembly for the fronts this time around. Rides like new again. You don't realize how awful your shocks have become until you ride around on brand new ones. It literally feels like a new truck every time. Nice and tight and smooth as silk going over rough terrain again.

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: