• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking for recommendations - time for new suspension

o5avy

So I just crossed the 230K mile mark.  Its time to renew my suspension and Im looking for suggestions.  Aside from replacing the front struts (shocks & springs), the rear shocks, and the sway bar links, everything is still original. Never even had an alignment since there was no problem with the tires wearing uneven.

I dont want to lift the truck, but I would like to make the suspension as good as new or better.  Its gotten pretty sloppy after all those miles. I dont do a lot of off-roading but I do tow boats and light utility trailers frequently.

2007 - LT 4wd

Just my .02 but I have always liked the ride quality of the Z71 suspension setup. It uses Bilstein shocks. I believe in the suspension section you can read about other's suspension replacements and many have used the Bilstein 5100 shocks to recreate the ride of a Z71.

can you provide a link to the suspension section???

I like the Z71 setup too, I just dont know what all the differences are in the setup.  I dont have the air ride suspension

You can read lots of stuff in this section :

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/board,109.0.html

I know from your description the LT1 to LT3 had stock suspension parts similar to the Suburban we are based on. If a suspension upgrade was installed on your specific AV it should be in the RPO codes found on your glove box door interior. As in my 2008 AV is an LT3 with Z71 package. From what I have read and observed the Z71 package has upgraded shock and springs with a stiffer rate, the sway bars may be different too... It should give you a sportier handling slightly stiffer ride without being harsh.
The first generation AVs had a Z66 suspension package designed for on road towing/ leveling use, not sure if it was continued on second generation AVs though. What you may be referring to the air ride suspension may be the auto leveling shocks on the LTZ models only and they work great but many complain of expense when they need to be replaced.

Woh!! I'm not even at 200k and I've replaced my Z71 shocks TWICE. I just happened to install the second set Thursday and included the whole strut assembly for the fronts this time around. Rides like new again. You don't realize how awful your shocks have become until you ride around on brand new ones. It literally feels like a new truck every time. Nice and tight and smooth as silk going over rough terrain again.

ca2kjet said:
...I just happened to install the second set Thursday and included the whole strut assembly for the fronts this time around...

I know this was 8 months ago, but could you please share what you replaced your struts with?  Brand and model # please if you have it.  Also, how have they performed and do you like them 8 months later?  I need to replace mine on my '07 LT Z71 and am not sure which direction to go - using the "quick-struts" that are available from Monroe and KYB or having struts made up with new springs and shocks.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Over the life of my Avy I've stayed with the Z71 shock setup and the newest ones I put on are still performing great.

Rears:
I replaced the rears with AC Delco 540-438 (GM Part 25871231). AC Delco is the actual OEM Z71 shocks (red color). When shopping for them, you may get a "does not fit" notice, this is because the part number for the 2007 model year has been replaced by a newer one. Keep an eye out on eBay, you can sometimes find a great deal on getting a set rather than buying each individually.

Fronts:
The fronts I purchased were AC Delco 139-105 (still OEM Z71 shocks - red color). They're a complete strut assembly (coil/shock). I've replaced just the shock the last couple of times, and then decided to make life easy and for the age, I'd just slap a new assembly in there. No fussing with a coil compressor. After searching around, it looks like AC Delco also has another "model" of that part which is a black shock, rather than the OEM red. I have no idea what the differences are.

It looks like front OEM Z71 coil & shock assemblies are getting harder to find. Snatch it up while you can... this was the only set I found on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/139105-Pair-of-OEM-Front-Quick-Strut-Yukon-Tahoe-Suburban-Sierra-Silverado-07-13-/400997220286

Rear Axle Links
As much as new shocks improved the ride and handling, this past fall I also began replacing the rear axle links and I can not stress how much of a difference that made. It made the whole truck solid again! Literally felt like I drove it home new, and that was even before I replaced my tires!

So far I've replaced these rear items (both sides)

Stabilizer Links - GM# 15257472
Lower Control Arms - GM# 22868629
Upper Control Arms - GM# 15767252

Need to still do the single Lateral Arm - GM# 22863710

Hope this helps!  ;)

This helps tremendously - thanks for the information and the quick response!  I'm looking forward to tightening my truck up.  (y)

Back