• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Down on power?

half-breed

Charter Member
I have a 2002 Z71 with 140k miles. Lately it seems like it might be down on power, but it is hard to tell. We picked up a 2014 Escalade ESV a year ago with the 6.2L 400 HP engine. Either the 2002 Avalanche is down a little on power, or I am just getting used to the power of the 2014 Escalade. If the Avalanche is down on power, any suggestions on what to look at? I picked up a new air cleaner filter but have not installed it yet. I figured I could also replace the fuel filter as well.

It has never had the fuel filter changed, has the original plugs, wires, coils, etc.

It gets regular oil changes between 3k and 4k miles.

What should I change/clean, and in what order of priority?

Replace the plugs, wires, filter and clean the MAF first, then see how it feels.

I'm guessing you are trying to compare it to the ESV ya can't do that Escalade have waaay more power then a AV.

Get cats checked out.... as they slowly close up and block flow they will reduce power from engine until she is a dog....

ygmn said:
Get cats checked out.... as they slowly close up and block flow they will reduce power from engine until she is a dog....

And eventually, when they clog almost completely, they can cause all sorts of issues... New cats and heads for us shortly after we bought our 02 back in 08... It had around 110k on it at the time.  :(

It has never had the fuel filter changed, has the original plugs, wires, coils, etc.

?O? my. First is the fuel filter. Then what is posted above. I would add a good
additive/injection cleaner to the fuel tank. For at least the next 4 tanks.

Way over due for some basic maintenance, like everyone is saying change the fuel filter, plugs/wires and the front O2 sensors. Clean the MAS while your putting the new air filter in.. Do all this before you do the cats since this all needs to done anyway..

I bet it will fell like a new AV..

Good luck

The plugs have never been out, can I expect them tocome out ok, or will I risk ripping threads out? Should I do it cold, or warm the engine? I assume antiseize should be used on the new ones.

Should I go GM parts, or aftermarket?

Good ole AC Delco parts work best, 

I was at my local Goodyear autotech center yesterday for an oil change and asked them to replace the fuel filter. Shortly after the guy came out and said it could be up to $1400. He said that the lines were very rusty (Chicago winters) and they might have to replace all of the lines. It might be simple, it might just come out, or they might have to cut the line back a ways and could splice in......or all the lines might be bad and need replacing. If I want it replaced I would need to set up an appointment since it could take a while.

Anyone else from the rust belt areas replaced their fuel filters on older Avalanches recently, and if so, did it go easy or require major line replacement?

Where is the filter located? I assumed it was along the frame rail somewhere....

I just spray some penetrating oil on it like PB blaster, spray it on a couple of days before then again about a hour before you try it. Use the right  wrenches they make them for brake lines and fuel lines.

If you see the lines twisting stop and go slowly.

Oh yeah the nut on the filter does not turn use it to hold it only.

The filter is under the drivers door by the abs module on the frame.

FWIW, my cats went out in the middle of last year (2006 with 180K miles) because teh O2 sensor went out. Ended up replacing both. Drives much better.

Back