• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

GVWR vs. Suburban

butters9

I feel like I've read in quite a few places about how identical the underpinnings are between the Suburban and Avalanche.  Yet the Suburban gets a 200 pound GVWR advantage (7400 vs. 7200 for some model years, for example).  Anyone know the reasoning behind this?  Are they not actually as identical as everyone claims, or is there some other reason behind it? 

I originally wondered if GM was trying to hit a target payload, but from the limited sample size I've seen, the Suburbans actually have 200+ more pounds in the payload department as well when comparing the same trim (LTZ to LTZ).  Why wouldn't the Avalanche be able to handle the same payload as a Suburban?

The rear end modifications (box/midgate etc) are likely 200 lbs heavier than a suburban would be my guess... Would need to check the curb weight and compare.

A quick google shows the curb weights are almost identical, at least for my model year - 2011.

But I'm asking about the GVWR - how much total weight (vehicle + payload/passengers) the platform is rated to handle.

For LTZ models, they both seem to be in the ballpark of 6K pounds curb weight.  Due to the GVWR, the Suburban would allow for roughly 1400 pounds of capacity (7400 - 6000) while the Avalanche only allows for 1200.

Maybe weight distribution is different that one has mroe weight on one axle then the other and that is limiting GVWR.

Many things come into play on GVWR but yes AVY and burb share the same chassis.

I'm not the engineer either but maybe it's because the AV does not have a D pillar and is more flexible.  Just about everything else is the same

Back