• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stabilitrac, traction control and ABS lights all on

Oldstreetracer

I have a 07 Avy LTZ, with 130k on it, I cannot seem to lick this problem . I have replaced: Brake control module, both rear wheel speed sensors, TPS, front hubs have been replaced in last couple of years so those wheel speed sensors are newer (always bought the best Moog/Timkin). No engine power loss but has given me a hard 1 to 2 shift a few times. I was debating replacing the steering sensor but it does not seem consistent with my issue (No codes). I have not replaced the terminating resistor because I have no idea what it looks like or how it's replaced. I have not replaced any battery cables. I have been trying to fix this for a couple of months now, any idea's on next steps?

Thank you!

Get the codes read.... If you have an ABS light you have a code.. Just may not be able to be read with standard reader.

Instead of replacing pieces and parts you really want to get the code read which will tell you directly which part is the issue.

I have a Scantool Dongle and with their basic free software it doesn't read the ABS codes... I bought their ScanXL Pro software and it DOES read ABS codes...

You will find the same with regular scan tools. You need to find one that will read the ABS codes. Some auto parts stores can do this for you for free. But make sure they can actually read the ABS codes.

Rodney

Best to get the codes read for a starting point. Have you checked the input/output speed sensors on the trans? And the wiring to them? An internal break in the wiring(usually near the connector) is more likely than a sensor failure.

Thanks all, I just purchased a new scan tool that reads ABS codes (it's rated very highly on Amazon), you are correct my older one does not. I was told in a different forum that this failure could not be read on a scan tool and that the dealership has to test each sensor input that relates to the failure instead. Shame on me, I Should have to to this forum first for my Avy. I will post the scan tool findings

Thank you

Oldstreetracer said:
Thanks all, I just purchased a new scan tool that reads ABS codes (it's rated very highly on Amazon), you are correct my older one does not. I was told in a different forum that this failure could not be read on a scan tool and that the dealership has to test each sensor input that relates to the failure instead. Shame on me, I Should have to to this forum first for my Avy. I will post the scan tool findings

Thank you
Ability to read codes and scanning sensors/monitoring systems are two completely different things and are highly dependent on both the vehicle and scanner involved.

First the scanner has to establish communications with the vehicle computer.  There are 4 or 5 different protocols used by different manufacturer's/vehicles for communication with the vehicle computer through the same OBD2 connector.  2006+ are mostly standardized on CAN protocol.

Ability to read basic OBD2 powertrain codes and display a handful of basic OBD2 powertrain values/sensors is standardized.  This is the "compatibility with all OBD2" that the scanner manufacturers like to quote.  Just because a scanner claims to be compatible with all OBD2 from 1996 up to present, that doesn't mean you will necessarily be able to get what you want or be able to do what you want on a particular vehicle.

Each car manufacturer has developed the OBD2 system to monitor many other things.  Like manufacturer specific powertrain items, ABS, SIR, and the entire myriad of things controlled by the BodyControlModule (BCM) and specific function modules such as the TransferCaseModule (TCM), and anything else on the vehicle system bus.  Because enhanced functions are not standardized.... in order to access any of this enhanced funtionality a scanner needs to know what to send to the specific vehicle computer to get the desired response back - furthermore, then it needs to know how to interpret what it gets back. 

So the information the scanner needs to know to perform enhanced functions on a 1996 Blazer is not necessarily the same for a 2010 Avalanche, or a 2006 Ford, and so forth.  All of this enhanced info is controlled by the manufacturer who developed it and they will charge a scanner company for that info.  then the cost is passed on to you.  Some scanners allow you to buy enhanced GM PIDs or Ford or Chrysler as an add-on.  Others expect you to buy a set for a specific year and make.  This set of enhanced PIDs will not be exhaustive, but will include a significant number of PIDs and hopefully the one you need will work on your vehicle.  There are also software apps that have reverse engineered a lot of the PID info, but sometimes the same enhanced PIDs doesn't work for all models within a manufacturer.

So the top of the line is the GM Tech 2 scanner - it does it all.

Then comes the high end scanners like Snap-on and the high end Windows software like Autoenginuity.  These can do most things if you buy the option.

Below that is the software Tuners use to modify the software for their vehicle computer like EFI Live and HP Tuners.  These provide some bidirectional communication functionality with the vehicle PCM, such as crank sensor relearn and injector balance tests and transmission control.  Also a lot (but not all) of enhanced functions for the powertrain that I have tried on my GM vehicles.  As I understand it they do ABS and SIR PIDs but no experience there.  I do have VCM Scanner myself at $350.

Below that is ScanXL Pro with GM enhanced PIDS at about $150.  I also have it, but don't have much use for it anymore.  It does a lot like VCM scanner does, but without the bidirectional communication functions.

The best deals I know of are specific smartphone apps that use the BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter as found on Amazon for $22.

Torque Pro - good for many enhanced GM powertrain PIDs  - slick look - easy to use.  Does not do ABS, etc $5.00

Dash Command - same company as ScanXL Pro.  Good for many enhanced GM powertrain PIDs  - slick look - easy to use. Also offers iPhone version to use with a Wifi OBD2 adapter.  Does not do ABS, etc  $10 + $10 per vehicle for enhanced PIDs.

Car Gauge Pro - in my experience reads all codes for all systems including BCM, SIR, ABS, etc.  Does not support enhanced PIDs for GM CAN protocol vehicles (really was made for Ford/Nissan).  Reads tons of PIDs for Powertrain, but both system modules and PIDs are completely unfiltered except by manufacturer.  You have to experiment and see what works with your specific vehicle.  Difficult to use interface, and its a try and see what works software.  With Car Gauge Pro I have even read ABS wheel speeds on my 2008 Ford (GM ABS won't work), watched fuel tank pressure on my 2004 Avalanche during the EVAP testing sequence.  Also read BCM codes for HVAC on the Avalanche.  Best value at $8.95 if you have patience and understand what is going on.

good luck!

What he said...

Prior to 2008 you had atleast 3 different ODBII protocols. j1850PWM, j1850VPW, k-line Depending on the vehicle make... MOST of the ELM/STN scanners can access those protocols. All vehicles were mandated to support CANBUS by 2008. Our trucks had a partial switch over in 2006 with most of the truck being switched over to CANBUS in 2007. Now realistically there are only 2 protocols you use in vehicles other than some proprietary stuff from some other manufacturers. CANBUS and LIN. LIN is a newer variation of K-Line from what I understand. Basically hardware is the same, just the protocol has changed with some options added.

With the 2006 trucks there are two buses. CANBUS and SWCAN with CANBUS being the industry standard 2 wire CANBUS running at ~500kbaud and SWCAN is a GM created variant of the CANBUS which runs on 1 wire and is normally run at ~ 33k baud.  Technically SWCAN truely is similar to CANBUS but uses ground as the low side. Since it is really only moving data referenced off ground it can not move data as fast.

CANBUS is for the important time dependent stuff such as engine, transmission, air bag etc... SWCAN is much slower and is used for convenience features such as HVAC, Lighting, Entertainment etc.

The command structure for each protocol is standardized so a device that connects with a 1996 J1850VPW would also connect with 2005 J1850VPW. And the CANBUS for ANY make car will use the same hardware connection and data structure.

Each command or data item passed on whatever protocol has an address it is sending to. Some protocols also contain the address it was sent from. There is a generic broadcast address as well that means the information is for any/all modules.  Each protocol also has a command/data type field so you know what the cell is requesting or providing. Many of the commands are very similar in nature across manufacturers as there are some standards in place. However the undocumented stuff relates to what address relates to what and what additional commands will return what types of responses.

So while you can use any one of a bunch of different devices to connect to different cars, the software has to be aware of the modules it needs to talk to.

With CANBUS there are some federally mandated requirements that all manufacturers have to meet. Since a bunch of the commands required handle much of the same information they use the same structure for other modules and such. To date no system I am aware of uses any sort of encryption in their system or any sort of checks and balances. This is why car hackers that can gain access to the databus can do all sorts of things. Whatever can be broadcast over the CANBUS can be messed with. If I have access to your databus at this time nothing stops me from sending codes that mimic a systematic failure that force the car to go into limp mode to slow it down, apply the brakes via the ABS to stop you then shut the motor off and disable it. And has been demonstrated, connected cars can be controlled remotely in this manner and in the cases where the steering is also modified via canbus modules you can mess with the steering too.

But anyhow, while the standard codes for your engine, transmission and similar features are required to be standardized things such as ABS or SIR are not part of that at this time. Last time I checked to get the specialized codes you have to be part of GM's network which costs ~$7000 a year and approval from GM. Also can not be an individual but a company that GM approves. So that is why some code readers can read the codes and some don't. The Manufacturer had to come up with the codes somehow... Which is why some charge a fee for "extended PID's" which then can give you some specialized codes and some other features.

One last note... I see Tech2's for sale for under $300 online. I hear these are cheap Chinese clones but not sure. When you look at different Tech2's the $3000 ones have a bunch of extra cabling which I am assuming allows them to connect to some modules directly and possibly some sensors out of the circuit etc.

I BELIEVE dealers use the Tech2 as a computer interface for reprogramming modules as well too but you have to have a computer running their specialized software and have a monthly subscription for their web based service that allows you to reprogram them. The tech2 acts as the "dongle" to program.

Also once I have my M2 module up and running I wouldn't mind borrowing some of these tools that are available to profile them and grab some codes... I plan to do this with my ScanXL with the extended PID's. I plan to also buy my own Tech2 to use for research as well.

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
One last note... I see Tech2's for sale for under $300 online. I hear these are cheap Chinese clones but not sure. When you look at different Tech2's the $3000 ones have a bunch of extra cabling which I am assuming allows them to connect to some modules directly and possibly some sensors out of the circuit etc.

I BELIEVE dealers use the Tech2 as a computer interface for reprogramming modules as well too but you have to have a computer running their specialized software and have a monthly subscription for their web based service that allows you to reprogram them. The tech2 acts as the "dongle" to program.

Also once I have my M2 module up and running I wouldn't mind borrowing some of these tools that are available to profile them and grab some codes... I plan to do this with my ScanXL with the extended PID's. I plan to also buy my own Tech2 to use for research as well.

Rodney
I have heard mixed reviews on he $300 clones.  But some people seem to have had pretty good experiences with them. 

Thanks Slick,

The reader said issue could be:
1. Brake light switch (already replaced it)
2. ABS module failure.

I googled ABS module failure for my year of Avy and a lot of issues came up as solder failures on the ABS coils coming loose and loosing contact over time. Many are just re-soldering the connection points of the coils to the circuit board, the replacement part from Rock Auto was not that bad so I may just go with new.

Thanks again

What was the actual code.    ???

So the saga continues, I replaced the ABS control module so that trouble code went away but know I'm getting a DTC 0569 and the recommended fix is to perform at transfer case hi/low clutch reset procedure, I have never even heard if this before???

Dtc c0569 or  P0569. ???

I'm gonna throw this out there without a lot of background knowledge, but I know this issue affected me and it sounds similar.

When I swapped my auto-ride rear shocks a connector got disconnected on the rear of the truck.  It is up on the frame rail above the axle, near the bump stop.  Here is the picture of it.  You can't get your head in there to see, but you can feel for it.  In my case I had the stabilitrack and TCS lights for sure, but I don't think I had the ABS one.  So this is a shot in the dark, but it's easy to check so I thought I would mention it.  The autoride system on the LTZ is more complicated so more codes seem to creep in.

You can read about it here too:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,142025.msg2056090/topicseen.html#msg2056090

Attachments

• plug.PNG
    plug.PNG
    46.4 KB · Views: 66
MS03 2500 said:
Dtc c0569 or  P0569. ???

c0569 :help:

C0569 CODE DEFINITION:
? Brake Booster Solenoid Circuit Performance
FREQUENTLY REPORTED FIX:
? Performed Transfer Case High/Low Clutch Reset Procedure

JohnnieMo said:
I'm gonna throw this out there without a lot of background knowledge, but I know this issue affected me and it sounds similar.

When I swapped my auto-ride rear shocks a connector got disconnected on the rear of the truck.  It is up on the frame rail above the axle, near the bump stop.  Here is the picture of it.  You can't get your head in there to see, but you can feel for it.  In my case I had the stabilitrack and TCS lights for sure, but I don't think I had the ABS one.  So this is a shot in the dark, but it's easy to check so I thought I would mention it.  The autoride system on the LTZ is more complicated so more codes seem to creep in.

You can read about it here too:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,142025.msg2056090/topicseen.html#msg2056090

Thanks for the idea, I did check this, all looked good.

Oldstreetracer said:
c0569 :help:

C0569 CODE DEFINITION:
? Brake Booster Solenoid Circuit Performance
FREQUENTLY REPORTED FIX:
? Performed Transfer Case High/Low Clutch Reset Procedure

That's a dealer fix or someone with a GM tech 2 system

No I have never seen that before but as someone has said it sounds like a AFM collapse lifter problem. It does throw some weird codes and causes the Stabilitrac, traction control and ABS lights to come on.

Is the motor running OK

Motor is burning more oil than I would like, it has 140k, after reading this forum at 130k I installed a Range AMF and did the drivers side rocker cover upgrade and replaced all plugs due to a misfire. I have been Lucas gas treatment every fill up to see if I can reduce the oil consumption assuming an oil ring may be sticking. Engine has run good since the upgrades and I have tried removing the AMF DISSABLER to see if I could clear the codes but no luck. I expect at some point in time I may have to do the lifter conversion as I have heard that they will eventually collapse.

Thank you for response

Back