• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Observations after 75 days.....

FormulaCC1

So, after 2.5 months with my Avalanche, here's what I've come up with:

1:  It's probably the most versatile truck (or SUV) I've owned, PERIOD.
2:  AFM might look good on paper, but in reality, not so much....
3:  Range Products AFM defeat device is worth every penny......
4:  Front seats are some of the most comfortable of any car I've had in 30 years of driving.
5:  Unlike some brands/models, most Avalanche owners don't give a flying crap when one of their kin passes by....
6:  Saddlebags.... (y)
7:  Oil filter on left side of engine block, drain plug on right= :beating:
8:  Would I buy another one....so far, yes, but 2 months is a TEENY sample size, so I'm gonna keep the jury out on that one for a while....

Glad you are enjoying your AV experience!
There are many happy AV owners out there but due to the fact that no new ones are being made and the ones on the road are aging it does seem to lead to lower enthusiasm level of drivers. A certain percentage of owners in general have always just looked at the AV as transportation and we could never get them to join the website even with brochures and invites to GTG (get togethers).
You can look at older threads at all the large GTGs we used to have and even discussions over trying to decide on an official AV wave.
I think the problem you may have at times is that the WBH AVs without lower cladding look like Silverados  or Suburbans when approaching from the front and AV owners didn't want to look silly waving at one of those vehicles. It was easier back in the day to spot an originally cladded AV and wave to them.
As far as the AVs being versatile it was said years ago the the AV "was the Swiss Army Knife of vehicles" and it really fits that idea to many people.
As far as the Range Product AFM defeat device many like that device but there has been mention of it causing a drain to you battery if not driven often. (something about it sending a signal every so often through the electrical system.)
As a side note you may find it helpful to put the year and model AV you own in your signature so when or if you have any specific question, problem or mod you start a thread on you won't have to repeat yourself since many things are year, model specific.
Hope you have many happy and safe miles in your AV!

Yeah, when I was doing research on the Range device, it was noted that it could drain the battery....for the most part, I run the Avy every day....the only time it sat since I had it installed (5 days I was in the hospital), I had my wife disconnect it, to be safe....the last thing I wanted was a dead battery in a hospital parking garage....

That's a great review! However, I do notice other avalanches driving by. Similar to when I see the occasional Ferrari or Bugatti.

I think the Gen II models are more comfortable. However, I'm happy with my Gen I.

PerfectReign said:
That's a great review! However, I do notice other avalanches driving by. Similar to when I see the occasional Ferrari or Bugatti.

I think the Gen II models are more comfortable. However, I'm happy with my Gen I.

My wife has an 08 Dakota that I thought was comfortable before I got the Avy....those seats feel like a park bench now.....

Before we bought the 2017 GMC Arcadia we had a 2012 Cadillac SRX and I would get Car Butt after driving it for about 2 hours, so on long trips we always would take the Avalanche because it was way more comfortable driving for 6 plus hours..

Best vehicle I've ever owned..

I thought the front seats on my first gen were more comfortable then my second gen. First gen seats felt like I was sitting in them and the second gen feel like I'm sitting on them. Every one has an opinion though and no two will be alike. Lol

That's interesting I had three cars since I had the AV and found myself still driving the AV. So I sold 2 of them, heck I have valet parked it but they normally just leave it close and not park it.  :D

(y) Wouldn't trade mine for anything less than a newer model.... IMHO most comfortable, easy driving and sleekest truck I've ever owned.

I have had my Avy now for just over a month and i have to say this is my favorite vehicle i have owned. the only thing i dont like about it is the gas mileage, but thats ok, its what i expected when i bought it.  I agree with saying how comfortable these are.  I keep reading about people complaining about the afm and problems that come with it. I had the engine tick that i have heard so many talk about on these forums, but it went away after i changed the oil to a synthetic. So im wondering what are the benefits of having the Range AFM device? And can those devices cause problems themselves?

Benefits (my 2 cents, anyhow):
No switching between V4 & V8-obviously...
Reduced oil consumption....before I installed mine @ 3k, it used just under 1 qt.....after, less than 1/2 qt @ the same interval...not a HUGE difference, but a noticeable one
Improved responsiveness on the highway...no lag coming out of V4 when passing....
Real world fuel economy hasn't changed...although anyone worried about that with a 6000 lb vehicle...
Drawbacks:
Potential for battery drain if the vehicle sits for a while....I drive it every day, so not an issue...
If your OnStar is active, the monthly diagnostic report can't run while it's plugged in....
I like mine, but individual results may vary....

best place to buy them on the range website? i saw some on ebay but i dont know if i would trust them even if they are like $60 cheaper

rebel23 said:
best place to buy them on the range website? i saw some on ebay but i dont know if i would trust them even if they are like $60 cheaper

Got mine from Summit....was a little less than on Range's site....

I always check Summits price, it's usually less or close and if it's over $100 it's free shipping. Plus at this time still no tax if you live in a state where they don't have a store/warehouse.

I've ordered parts from Rockauto and had $50 in shipping on a $250 order... Never again... 

rebel23 said:
I have had my Avy now for just over a month and i have to say this is my favorite vehicle i have owned. the only thing i dont like about it is the gas mileage,
Yeah, when I drive the AV, I think about the fact that I'm getting 30+ less MPG than in my Malibu.

Of course, when I go uphill on freeway ramps, I very much appreciate the instant acceleration from the freeway stoplight to 80 MPH.

PerfectReign said:
Yeah, when I drive the AV, I think about the fact that I'm getting 30+ less MPG than in my Malibu.

Of course, when I go uphill on freeway ramps, I very much appreciate the instant acceleration from the freeway stoplight to 80 MPH.

That is one of the things i do love, i step on the gas and it moves. just yesterday i had to go to a doc appointment 50 miles away and theres a nice hill on the highway, my wifes Sonata has always decelerated while going up it, but yesterday i had the cruise control on and went up it with ease, i dont even think i heard the rpms rise. i love my truck.

I've had several full size trucks & SUV's, they've ranged from 12mpg (87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer), up to the 18.5-19mpg I'm getting in the Avalanche, which at a 6000lb curb weight, is fine by me.....

I probably posted this somewhere before...

My first vehicle was an '87 Nissan pickup. 2.4L 4-cylinder, 16-18 MPG
My second vehicle was the '95 Jimmy. 4.3L V6, 16-18 MPG
My third vehicle was a minivan I had while I transitioned to the Avalanche. I'll ignore that.
My fourth vehicle was/is the Avalanche. 5.3L V8, 15-20 MPG.

Go figure.

(Oh, I did drive a TDI Jetta for four years. That was a 1.9L I4 and got 38-42MPG.)

If you are going to do a Range, you might as well just due a whole custom tune. Most are $300-350. I disabled AFM, cleaned up shifts, removed TM, and picked up at least an MPG driving same routes (albeit much quicker >:D). If you want super cheap - just switching to 89 octane will improve drivability...

Back