• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Squeaking Noise - Bad U joints?

illini4life

I'm assuming I have bad u-joints that need replaced, but I figured I'd post on here to see if anyone could think of anything else. This squeaking (recording can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd0v1d6tmy2m0wa/Voice%20002_sd.m4a?dl=0) happens in forward and reverse. The frequency increases as my speed does. I haven't had a chance to put it on a lift and spin the driveshaft...that's my next step.

So I made the repair today with my father in law who's a mechanic. The rear u joint was locked up so that was definitely the culprit. We changed both u joints and put in the moog super strength non-greasable u joints.

On the down side, on the way home now I'm noticing extreme vibrations anytime I get over 55 mph. Everything went together as it should have. Not sure why the vibrations are starting now. I had no vibrations with the bad u joint, just the squeaking. I guess I'm going to try and replace them again in case I got a bad batch. Anyone else had this problem?

Did any of the weights come off, or maybe rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees.

Both of the weights were still there when I remounted the drive shaft. I guess I'll try pulling it and rotating the rear 180 to see if that does anything. Fingers crossed!

I took the u joints out and got replacements (same type) just in case that was the culprit. That didn't change anything, so I flipped the rear of the driveshaft 180 degrees at the pinion yoke and unfortunately I'm still getting the vibrations. I didn't spend a lot of time messing around putting some tire weights on the shaft, but I did try a couple spots near the rear and didn't really notice any change one way or another. I figure if I'm going to go down this road I'll need a lot more free time to test things. Here is some additional information below.

I strapped my gopro underneath and took videos of the front and back u joints in motion. I uploaded these videos to my box storage account and have hyperlinked them to this post. I can't make much out of these videos, but maybe someone else can.

In the first video of the front u joint (https://uofi.box.com/s/5dlvlklwx8bs4yf2n4dccyharyvap0bd), up until around the 2min 15sec mark is just me backing out of my drive and driving to the main street before I accelerate up to around 70mph. The vibrations really start inside the cab around 65mph and increase dramatically from there. You can notice the shifts around 2min 19 sec, 2min 23sec and 2min 35sec. I think I started coasting around the 2min 50sec mark or so.

In the second video of the rear u joint (https://uofi.box.com/s/ufpxa9i9d66my752qeacpfmeidtwhih2), up until 20sec is me getting turned around. I can't quite make out the shift points as well in this video, but I think a couple are around 33sec and 45sec. I think I started coasting around 52 seconds, the rest is just me driving back to my house once in the neighborhood.

The only other thing I can think of to try before I start adding weights and moving things around is to flip the slip yoke 180 degrees on the front of the driveshaft. Other than that, I'm at a loss and may have to just take it somewhere.

yes, that's what I've been thinking too. I just can't believe a step like that would be necessary with such a simple replacement, but it would be just my luck.

Like MS03 2500 posted.
Did you mark before disassembly? Balance and timing.
Yokes need to be facing the same way. The second video really show some rust and flakes.
Maybe living in the salt belt time for a new one.

Check your wheels weights and tires just an easy thing to do.

Unfortunately nothing was marked before disassembly  :E:. Looking back at it now, I'm surprised this step wasn't done with my father in law being a mechanic. It is what it is so there's no sense in me hanging him out to dry since he was offering his help. You can bet your a** I'll be doing that in the future though!

The yokes are facing the same way. I spent some time messing around over the weekend and I tried a few things...all to no avail. I noticed the spline shaft from the transfer case had two yellow tick marks on the face, I could only assume these were supposed to be lined up with the two "gaps" that are 180 degrees apart (surely there is a technical term for this but I don't know what it is) on the internal portion of the slip yoke. I lined them up, vibrations seem to be a little better but still very prevalent once I hit 65, goes away at 70, then comes back around 75 and goes away after 80 or so. Tried rotating the slip yoke 180 degrees, no difference. Once I had the slip yoke lined up with the yellow marks someone had drawn (don't know if it was a factory marking or one that was done when I had my transmission and some other components rebuilt a while back), I tried rotating the u joint at the rear 180 degrees and that didn't really make a difference either. My last step will be to confirm the tires are not an issue, but all of the weights are there and I have never had any vibration issues since I put the new tires on almost 15,000 miles back. Assuming I have no luck, I guess I'm going to be taking it somewhere. Just rather frustrating with such a simple replacement that I'll still have to get another party involved and pay them. Oh well!

I finally tracked down a company that does drive shaft balancing and repair an hour or so away from me. Apparently they have had people come in for the same problem where the culprit has been the injected plastic from the factory. While it's rare, if the original u joints weren't centered when the plastic was injected it's enough to cause the problem I have now with the aftermarket u joints installed with the retaining clips to force them to be on center. Balancing supposedly runs around $95, if they have to make a new drive shaft they are around $275. I called for the price of a new drive shaft and it's way more than the $275 so I might still make out ok. It's not worth the risk for me to pull a used one off another truck and still have issues. Hopefully it's just the balancing!

Back