• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

rear end rebuild assistance/advice

ZROC350

I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 with the 3.73 posi locker.

looking for any advice and knowledge on cleaning up my rear pinion gear. SEE THE PICTURES ATTACHE. The inner bearing ran till it tore apart and the pinon shim and some of the bearing race cage material has become stuck on the pinion. Anyone have any ideas on how to clean it up so i can start the rebuild process of the rear end.

Also if anyone has any insight to the marking from the factory on the pinion as well would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, miss my truck and this has had me sidelined for a while now.

Attachments

• IMG_0652 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0652 - Copy.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0654 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0654 - Copy.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0653 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0653 - Copy.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0652 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0652 - Copy.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 54
Hard to tell by the pictures.  If the gear teeth are ok and the ring gear looks good go for it.  Of course everything needs to be free from debris and clearances will need to be checked/adjusted.

I should have clarified that the TEETH on the ring and the pinion are both great and there is no damage inside the housing as well.  only issue is this metal slag (For lack of a better word) that is on the collar that affects the seating of a new bearing and shim. 

Make sure the surface of the pinion is still flat where it contacts the bearing and clean the entire differential real good.

You have a locker not a posi if yours is a Z71

MS03 2500 said:
Make sure the surface of the pinion is still flat where it contacts the bearing and clean the entire differential real good.

You have a locker not a posi if yours is a Z71

Thank you,for the clarification. and that is what i was figuring

Back