• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

BlueDriver ODB2 bluetooth code reader

EXT4ME

PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
I am fixing some connection issues with the SRS system in our new-to-us 2012 GMC Acadia and, as expected, my good old Actron CP9575 does not read SRS or ABS codes.

So, during this troubleshooting and repair process, I have had to run over to my mechanic's shop and have him use his scanner to read and clear codes and history.

The problem we were having was an intermittent open loop coming from a SRS connector under the front seats.

Mostly the driver's seat, but once under the passenger seat.

Come to find out, this is a rather common problem with several GM models.  :E:

I located the problems and I am in the process of making repairs by undoing some of the unbelievable redneckery that was done by a previous owner.

But enough of that.

The purpose of this post is to share with the group a pretty nice Bluetooth OBD2 scanner I came across to help me read and clear the SRS and ABS codes that my old Actron scanner could not.

When I looked at scanner dongles in the past, either the cost was too high, they did not read the SRS and/or ABS codes, did not have any iPhone support or if they did, they connected through a wireless network connection to the iPhone.

My need wasn't all that great in the past, so I did not bother looking at options very hard.

Now, I am in need of a scanner at home because my mechanic is basically a 9 to 5 M-F shop and I hated having to both wait for him to be open and I hated to bother him when this is something I could be doing for myself.

This is the scanner that I found:

BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android

I really like this device.

It reads both SRS and ABS codes and history and will clear everything it can read.

It connects to Apple devices running iOS 7 and newer through a Bluetooth connection.

It supports live data and export of data to several formats.

And just recently, all modules come installed on the device right from the git-go.

There are no additional module package add-ons you have to buy to get the reports you are needing.

You buy the scanner and you are ready to get scanning.

So far, it has done everything I have needed it to do and a whole lot more.

When I tested the scanner on my EXT, which is not throwing any codes, I found in the history several stored errors relating to speed sensors in the front wheel hubs (I had both frond wheel hubs replaced back when I first got the truck, but I never had any codes shown on the truck), some data link connection errors which referred to replacement of seat heater pad elements (which I have replaced twice and never saw any kind of error indicated by the truck), a code mentioning a lost data connection to the 6-CD changer (which was bad when I bought the truck and I replaced with a unit I got off of eBay) and some data link connection errors that indicated the cluster display may have been changed out to fix a previous problem.

While I was troubleshooting a flakey cluster display issue I was having a couple a weekends ago, I pulled the cluster and discovered a tag on the back of the cluster that read "Factory Authorized Remanufactured Module for Delphi Delco".

I guess someone before me had had problems with the cluster and the one in my truck is possibly a rebuilt replacement unit.

Who knew?

Anyway, if you are in the market for a nice code reader and have a $100 budget, I believe this is a good one to consider.

(y)

A good scanner will pay for itself the first time you use it.

I would not worry about every single code because the system is set to trigger a warning light if they repeat a certain amount of times before throwing a warning light.

I agree on both counts.

The error light for the airbag system (the bubble gum man) on the Acadia came on randomly, but still set a code and set some history that I could check.

I understand now that the code we were seeing was set when an open condition occurred for more than 2 seconds and the light would only turn on during the 2+ second fault.

We had a bad connection that would make and loose contact at random.

A previous owner's fix was rather cheesy and was causing the random open condition, so I will do away with that and fix it correctly.

The only CEL's I have ever seen on my EXT was one for a bad knock sensor and another when somehow one of the wires for one of my O2 sensors got ripped off.

Both of those obviously set a code and retained a solid CEL until the repair was made.

I thought it was funny that neither of those set anything in the history.

Oh, well.

I've got one of these BlueDriver scanners and it is great. Very easy to use and reads all the codes for all the systems.
I think probably one of the best features of this over a hardware scanner is the phone app can be updated as they add more features in the future.

I have to say though, I just bought one of those knock-off Tech2 scanners and for under $300, you get the same scanner the dealers use.
I have an '05 Escalade ESV (wanted another Avy, but couldn't justify the price they are going for). I needed the Tech2 for bleeding the ABS and it works on my other GM vehicles.
The Tech2 also has programming capabilities that I need to fix some issues with the BCM. It's nice because it's the scanner the FSM refers to when troubleshooting.

I am thinking of getting one of these scanners myself... I will be using my M2 to figure out what commands do what... That will allow me to capture the codes and be able to duplicate them at a later time...

So if you get an M2 module you will eventually be able to use it like a Tech2 for most things... ;) Not possible with a ELM/STN type dongle...

Rodney

I picked up one of these from Amazon as well.  I think I paid $99 CAD.  I am pleased with it, although it couldn't diagnose a chassis code I got a while back for a front impact sensor.

I have a Blue Driver code reader also. I run older phones, a Samsung S4 and the screen is kind ofsmall and I tried to get the scanner to work on my Kindle reader but they don't make their app for the Kindle. So I picked up a Galaxy tab and haven't looked at the kindle since. Nice little tool.

Back